1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't write national defense and health care are the same. If they're both unique, they can't be the same. They are unique for different reasons. But, nevertheless, they are unique.

Cultural realities surrounding how we engage the health care system, and how we view the purpose of health care - that is, not as a business, but as an enterprise designed to make us healthier - supercedes, IMO, the ways it offends your intellectual pro-market sensibilities, or those sensibilities of anyone like you, because there's considerable, significant proof that single payer works just fine and is far less complicated than the system we have now, which also fucks up in ways any system would.

Health care is distinct and poignant in ways that are more compelling to me than your or anyone's interest in totally controlling their health care outcomes. I side with what I perceive would be the greater, common good over any personal self-fulfillment (or lack thereof) that might come from your great choices (or lack thereof).

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Retired transgender Navy SEAL: Tell me to my face I’m not worthy of serving

"Let's meet face to face and you tell me I'm not worthy," Kristin Beck told Business Insider Wednesday, referring to Trump. "Transgender doesn't matter. Do your service."

Beck was a Navy SEAL for 20 years, serving with the elite Team 6, among others. She was deployed 13 times and served in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan, according to Business Insider.

She added that she doesn’t think it’s right for people in the military to defend liberty for only some Americans.

She also dismissed the argument that unit cohesion would suffer from transgender people serving alongside service members who might have problems working with them.

"A very professional unit with great leadership wouldn't have a problem," Beck said."

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because if you approach something as a public good when it's clearly not, you'll probably totally fuck things up?

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This I agree with. I don't know if that required a robust and functioning insurance market thought. If anything, it means a smaller, more specialized one I'd imagine.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

When exactly are you referring to?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is going to be one of those weird, reasoned backwards from belief definitions of "fucked up" that believes child labor laws and universal primary education was a mistake, isn't it?

K. Despite this brief blip, I have confidence we can outvote those definitions in the long run so I'll live with your disagreement.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I suspect my understanding of "fucked up" is clearer and more rigorous that your understanding of "market failure" -- hint, it's not "an equilibrium of which I don't approve" -- so your long run better be pretty dadgum long.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Market failure means that a market's allocation of something isn't efficient.

As I said in an earlier post, people don't want to acknowledge the fundamental problem of scarcity when it comes to this. And demogogic promises that conflated intentions with fairy tale results have led to a perversion of the debate around it.

Just because your value judgment (or anyone's) is that you want a certain level of health care to be an entitlement, or you are unhappy with the fact that we have scarce resources and people have unlimited wants, doesn't constitute market failure. This is the world we were thrown into. It's not "market failure" either that lots of people want their own private jet, but few people have one.

Also, I have no idea what you actually meant by the second sentence, how one person values something is going to be different than how you value things. It's what makes us individuals.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did she publicly identify as female during her service?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Economists didn't copyright the words "market" and "failure."

When the free market fails to produce desirable outcomes, I can call it a failure of the market. I'll take the F in Econ 350 on my SJ.com transcripts

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trump listen to his team? Oh, come on Inky, you know better than to even suggest that.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.