1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If one of my kids, as a 9-year-old, had used "impact" as a verb, not only would I have made him/her redo the letter ... I'd have given him/her "the hose" for good measure.

God help 'em if they used "market failure" or "public good" incorrectly.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to defend Trump for playing golf.

This is our political reality.

When the left didn't universally criticize President Obama for playing gold two minutes after announcing the beheading of "Jim" Foley, you normalized that behavior.

When the left allowed Obama to lie about keeping your plan, and doctor, you normalized that behavior.

When the left praised Harry Reid as a master politician for lying about Mitt Romney, you normalized that behavior.

When the left let Bill Clinton off the hook after he committed perjury, you normalized that behavior.

When Bill Clinton, and his allies, defamed his accusers, and the Independent Counsel, and you said nothing, you normalized this behavior.

When Hillary Clinton destroyed evidence, and "wiped" her service, and you voted for her anyway, you normalized this behavior.

When Richard Spencer was violently assaulted, and the left cheered, you normalized violence against people based on abhorrent political speech.

When the left refused to confirm Robert Bork for the Supreme Court, and attempted to destroy Clarence Thomas, you normalized the politicization of the nominating process.

Don't ask me to defend Donald Trump. I don't need to.

You decided that winning, and political power was more important than the truth, or honor. And, you want us to sit back and watch as you lie, and cheat, and destroy our institutions.

Fuck that. Is Trump a role model? Nope. No more than Bill Clinton, though, of course liberals still love and admire Bill.

I hope Trump destroys the Democratic Party, and after what Obama already did to it, he's well on his way. He's already picked off traditional Democrat voters. What's left of the party is further left, and more shrill than ever. It will be reduced to placating the most fringe elements within the party, and will further lose members.

And for that, Trump will go down in history.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Principle of common usage has made impact a verb by now, surely.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

She/He did the job as required, who cares. You are qualified, you're in.

5. doctorquant

I appreciate your efforting really hard there ... :p

YankeeFan and RickStain like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Thinking back now 52 years to my historic letter to LBJ, I'm pretty sure it was a post card -- I seem to remember reading some newspaper story on the topic of letters to the WH saying that post cards were preferred and more likely to be read, because they were easier for staff to handle. Sealed letters were more likely to sit unopened for months.

And despite the fact my penmanship in primary school was hardly stellar, I'm sure I took time and made as many copies as I needed to, to make the damn thing readable.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We're talking about Trump here, though. Emotions and playing to the base > facts and data. What was the argument last summer, perverts pouncing on innocent children in public restrooms will claim to be transgender?

Let's just call this what is is: With "repeal and replace" going down in flames, more leads coming out about Russia and, oh, the general asshattery we've seen the last six months, this is just another shiny object.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ten Letters by Eli Saslow was a damn good book.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's like your magnum opus of terrible equivalencies.

10. YankeeFan

My point is that a healthy insurance industry can provide for the vast majority of Americans.

It can't provide for everyone.

We need to figure out how to cover the poor, and those with pre-existing conditions.

You argue that we should simply go to single-payer.

I don't think we need to do that. We simply need to let insurance work for the vast majority of Americans, and not fuck it up by asking it to do what it can't.

Then we need to work on other means to provide healthcare to those who can't be served by the insurance industry.

Now, in my mind, the first thing we do is de-couple insurance from employment. Once you do that, once you have everyone purchasing insurance on an individual basis, the whole question of pre-existing conditions practically goes away.

Pre-existing conditions are such a big problem because insurance is tied to employment, and people need to acquire new insurance if they leave or change jobs.

And there are any number of ways to fund healthcare for the poor.

What we need to do is let insurance be insurance.

11. YankeeFan

But she did it as "he".

So, how do we extrapolate anything from her service?

12. doctorquant

Sometimes it's simply better to not do the math, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.