1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I loved watching the vote live last night.

Seeing McCain laughing and hugging with a group of Democrats, and then later with Pence and it was not a friendly talk, you could see something was happening.

It was fantastic the way he looked at McConnell when he came out and after he voted. Walked away and McConnell just stood there.

McCain doesn't have the time left most all of us have. I hope he is able to be part of the process in the Senate for as long as he can.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

When has he been that?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As Rick pointed out, he died of natural causes. There are situations when terminal cancer patients, and people with other medical conditions, are pulled off life support as well. You do realize that, right? I've been involved in such a discussion regarding a loved one, so I know how it works.

You made the claim that the government killed him. That is not what happened and you know it. That takes this from simply being wrong to lying on your part. When busted on that point, you are dodging by asking another question, which is bullshit. If you want to just continue to prove yourself a liar, that is on you.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Twitter Hall of Fame right here:

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've thankfully never been the one who had to make the final call that the machines had no chance of saving the person but could keep the heart and brain oxygenated for awhile longer, but I've been in the room twice when the decision had to be made to pull the plug, and I provided advice and emotional support to the person who had to make that decision.

I probably won't be passing along that Q thinks this is exactly the same as killing them.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw your post this this morning and I started to write something about how perverse it sounded. Not being able to afford health care isn't what killed them. They were alive until they killed themselves.

But then, the stories about them filled in more details, and the narrative changed: "A law enforcement source at the scene told The Post that authorities at first believed that the couple struggled with health care costs. But an NYPD spokesman said later that there was no mention of medical-cost struggles in the notes."

Now it is an old-fashioned "financial spiral." Here is another one: Chiropractor, wife leap to their deaths from Midtown building

He owned $213K to the Feds and $42K to owed NY in unpaid taxes.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

But wouldn't a detached entity be better equipped to make all such decisions? If parents can't be trusted to make an important decision like that, should a terminally ill adult be allowed to make that call? Wouldn't it be preferable for the state to intervene in all cases?

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If Trump was smart he'd change course. He does all the time, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Tell the Republicans they are going to work with the Democrats. Go public with it. Hammer them with it. Force the Republicans into working with the Democrats to fix what needs to be fixed. Get a bill done.

Healthcare is an issue that moves the needle and elections are coming up. Do the Republicans want to run the risk of being seen as obstructionists when 2018 rolls around on this issue? Trump should use that as leverage on the Republicans to get them to the table and work with the Democrats.

And then he takes all the credit.

Trump positions himself as The Great Deal maker, as he says he is, and rides the wave.

It would be bigly presidential.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not to get too into the weeds here, but if the government locks me in a cage and doesn't provide for my sustenance -- indeed prevents the provision (by others) of my sustenance -- I'm going to die of natural causes.

SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

They probably don't even know me.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Friday news dump: Priebus out, Gen.Kelly new chief of staff.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.