1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Goddamn fake news!

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Priebus flying commercial back?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Odds a General will tolerate Scaramooch's antics?

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Kelly will be gone by Turkey Day.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you've been in the room watching a loved one agonize through the death struggle and you weren't at least tempted to reach over there and switch the shit off, then you're either stronger or more callous than me.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Machine Head

Fired in public.

Nice.

8. Machine Head

I think Bannon's gonna be a tougher get for Mooch.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why would it be preferable? That doesn't follow from anything I've said, so I don't see why I'm being asked to defend it. Again, you're trying so hard to cram this into something it's not because you *want* it to be an abortion and government euthanasia case, but it doesn't fit the facts.

This was a simple case of pulling the plug and applying palliative care when there was no hope of saving a terminally ill patient. I think we all agree that's allowed and is not euthanasia? I'm not aware of this being particularly controversial even in extreme right-to-life circles.

This was a case of the government's ability to decide that a child's rights supersede their parents' right to make decisions. That this is sometimes the case isn't particularly controversial either. No one would argue that I have an inalienable right to feed my child dog food and keep him in a cage.

And really, it wasnt even that. The parents didn't want him kept alive on life support either. They agreed to have the plug pulled.

You want to frame this as "parents wanted him to live indefinitely, government wanted him to die right away, government won."

When really, the sides were:

Parents: believed that a medical experiment could possibly help him recover. If that failed, then they would let him die.

Doctors: said that the experiment had no chance of helping him recover and he would just be a guinea pig. It was time to let him die now, not after being experimented on.

Government: would prefer the two sides come to an agreement, but if they have to decide, the doctors are right.

The only way you could step in and change philosophy here is if you want to argue that the government should always side with the parents. Which is untenable philosophically unless you want to side with dog food and cages and *still* ends with the child dying in the exact same way.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

McCain has to be bummed that he got Trumped in the headlines.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's a semantic stretch. If the government introduces a heart-stopping poison into your blood, you'll die of the natural cause of your brain not getting oxygen.

12. Machine Head

Trump wasn't going to let McCain take over the news cycle so something had to be done!

Webster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.