1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If he's around in a couple years, it'll probably be a footnote anyway. The lead of his obit is still his time in Vietnam.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Quite to the contrary, I think he was thinking very much about his legacy.

Remember, McCain has been legendary for many many years for a red-hot temper.

I think McCain decided, "I'm not long for this earth, so I'm gonna ram it right up the ass of this silver-spoon prancing princess platinum pretty boy who dissed my POW experience while his q****rbait ass spent the Vietnam years sucking cocks in New York City. If my last significant act in the Senate is to ram a rocket launcher up Donald Fucking Trump's ass, so be it."

I think it was also somewhat to send a message to McConnell and Ryan to get their shit together, but only as a side effect.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Should have said "was" thinking about his legacy. I just don't think this is the kind of thing that is a legacy builder for a politician. Especially one whose pre-political life still trumps everything else he's done.

HC likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

McCain's obit will lead with his having been a senator and the GOP nominee for President. His war service will figure prominently, but it won't lead.

Now you may believe his pre-political life trumps what he accomplished afterwards, but that won't be history's judgement.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Goddamn recency bias. I'd say it's a combo lead. But this no vote isn't his greatest legislative "victory." Unless he dies soon, it shouldn't be a big part of his obit/legacy.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My gosh, you are OBSESSED with sucking cocks. It's almost like..... nahhhhhhh.

7. Starman

I really never talked about it much until last summer. Neither did I talk about daughterfucking.

lakefront likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm thinking The Rt. Rev. @Alma needs to check his distribution list, because George F. Will ain't gettin' the memos ...

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And now, turning to sports ...

Trump has long been thoroughly invested in convincing people he was—and maybe still is—a star athlete. In a taped interview for a book on his life in 2015, Trump described, in thorough detail, to interviewer Michael D'Antonio how he was "the best baseball player in New York" (and plenty else) when he was younger:

"I was always the best athlete. Something that nobody knew about me. … I was the best baseball player in New York when I was young. … But I also knew that it was very limited, because in those days you couldn't even make a lot of money playing baseball. … Everybody wanted me to be a baseball player. But I was good in other sports too. I was good in wrestling, I was very good at football. I was always the best at sports." ...

[​IMG]

In reality, of course, Trump is conspicuously overweight and out of shape, probably due to some combination of his well-publicized diet and his deeply held belief that the body only has a finite amount of energy so it's important not to use it all up getting exercise. But that doesn't matter: a key part of Trumpism is the cult-like faith that he remains a physical specimen, capable of dominating the various Enemies. This kind of deep-seated physical and psychosexual anxiety permeates the "alt-right" movement that is Trump's ideological base. They don't call everyone "cucks" by accident. It is vital that The Leader be held up not just as a paragon of twisted moral and political strength, but of sheer physical strength as well.

Is Donald Trump a Star Athlete?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So what? It was an epic and well-timed bitch slap to Trump and his lapdog Repugs (fuck you, Mitch!).

Works for me, QBALL. ... Bigly! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  11. Starman

The pussy bitch quit American football in 1962 as a sophomore at his lahhh dee dahh pansy boy prep school -- in order to play Soccer.

Nobody quit HS football in 1962 to play soccer. Nobody.

In 1962 New York, the guys who did that were.... well, they were the guys who ended up in the basement bathroom stalls of the discos a decade or so later playing Sausage hockey with leather clad cowboys.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry just got back from date evening with the Mrs.

I think history will treat McCain well. This will be seen as the McCain who ran in 2000 and found himself after selling out in 2008. Honestly, I really like McCain. I hate that he went against who he was in 08. And honestly the repeal bill was a bad bill born out of desperation to do anything rather than do something correctly. His thumbs down in McConnell's face will be a defining moment for McCain.

Really the question about battle vs war is going to be Trump and the GOP leadership's to answer. Trump's presidency has been one egg-on-the-face moment after another and the effort to repeal and replace has been a disaster. McCain won't need to worry about his legacy but McConnell will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.