1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is odd that Republicans seem to be less abrasive and polarizing once they are out of office. Boehner in the WHCD video with Obama, the Bushes, Dole with the various ads.. and how many suddenly "see the light" once they have no platform to change things?
    And Dems (except for Carter) are still hated by the right long after leaving office.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The problem with McCain '08 was how he tried to win that election, by swinging way right and getting in bed with some real morons — ok, one real supreme moron in particular. It made sense why he had to do that because, thanks to both his predecessor and his opponent, he was never going to win with a more moderate campaign that fit his actual brand.

Webster and franticscribe like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

See, I don't look at either Bush as being "abrasive." 41 wasn't even really polarizing that I can remember. 43 always seemed to have a sense of humor . . . just didn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. It was the left that called him an idiot while simultaneously crediting him with engaging in these massively evil conspiracies.

But yes, the GOP does hold its animus for Dems pretty much until they die. It's not nice. But it is consistent.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

McCain lost because of GW Bush and the onset of the global financial crisis during the stretch run of the campaign, an event it was clear he didn't understand or have an idea of how to deal with it. No shame in that, lots of great leaders (Churchill, for one) were poor at economics, but that was the hand he was dealt. The exit poll showed Bush had a 28 percent approval rating. Hard to blame the candidate for that.

dixiehack and Webster like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

GWB mainly seemed like an amiable doofus being manipulated by some real ratfuckers, i.e. Cheney and Rumsfeld, both apprentices of the evil and powerful Sith Lord Nixon.

6. DanOregon

I think with the Bushes, W has always been the same. Kind of cocky and goofy and - which is great - but projects differently when you're POTUS. You are right, HW was knocked for being "out of touch" (not abrasive enough by the right) - I have always liked and respected him. On the shortlist of greatest one-term Presidents.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Always fun to hear liberals GOPsplain.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And all your categorizations of what liberals are/do are what exactly? Cries of the oppressed?

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. DanOregon

I listen to enough conservative talk radio to understand that there has never been a Republican too conservative to be elected President, nor one who was conservative enough.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's because being right of center politically isn't the problem. The Republican Party, as an organization, is fucked. Quite possibly beyond repair.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I never cared about Mitt's, or anyone's, religion. Didn't like his policies. I'm a democrat.

But I will freely admit the left, and me on many occasions, was too over-the-top in going after Mitt. It's all politics, and both sides were pretty nasty. I think republicans were worse, but I'm a democrat. At the time it was fighting fire with fire.

Count me among the masses who would gladly have a "normal" republican, knowing what we know now.

First step back to sanity is a wave election in 2018 if lazy Dems run good candidates and get off their asses and take back control of congress.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've noticed it's been in a bit of a slump election-wise at all levels of government.

Alma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.