1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

School's out. Senate headed home.

Bewildered Senate Republicans Hit Back At Trump For Russia Blame

"We have bad relations with Russia because they’ve done bad things,” emphasized Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC). “What we’re trying to do is put pressure on a nation that has interfered with our elections, that is trying to relive the Soviet Union days, and it’s absolutely appropriate for a co-equal branch of Congress to make it very clear that the American people we represent think that Russia needs to be held in check. The president rightful takes the lead on the issue, but that’s not to the exclusion of us asserting our own position on Russia and their bad actions.”

Defending the steps Congress took last week, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO) said Russia’s meddling in other nations as well as the U.S. spurred them to act. “The fact that it refuses to get out of Ukraine. The fact that it violated any number of international norms with its behavior and cyberattacks—plain and simple,” he said.

Even lawmakers who usually defend the president, such as Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), hit back Thursday over the Russia blame. “I think our strained relationship with Russia started in 1917, didn’t it? With the Communist Revolution?” Shelby quipped to reporters. “It’s ebbed and flowed since, but I don’t see how it’s Congress’ fault.”

“It’s completely Putin’s fault,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) added.

If Trump thought the legislation was so damaging to international relations, several senators wondered, why didn’t he veto the bill when it came to his desk?

“I think he signed it, didn’t he? “Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) told TPM with a smile when asked about the president’s tweet. “The bottom line is that Russia is to blame for the relations with Russia deteriorating.”

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I like this exchange from the Turnbull call:

TRUMP: Malcom [sic], why is this so important? I do not understand. This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

TURNBULL: With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

TRUMP: Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

TURNBULL: The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting. I think that what you could say is that the Australian government is consistent with the principles set out in the Executive Order.

Ain't it great that Turnbull had to explain to the President of the United States that the actual number was specified in the Agreement, and it wasn't just some wild guessing game where maybe it was 5000 or 2000 or who knows.... And who the fuck besides Trump would ever use the words "I am the world's greatest person" during negotiations with world leaders?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    SnarkShark likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Like our old pal Keith O points out in his #Resistance vid last night, Trump is picking a fight with the judge and the jury of his pending Impeachment hearing; Keith looks at the Russia Sanction vote and surmises that Trump could be convicted by a 100-0 vote. And that was BEFORE Trump's tweets this morning about the Congress.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was certainly not likely his primary motive, perhaps not even a conscious motive, but after commanding a massive military force including POC during WWII, Eisenhower had to realize increased integration was on the way whether he liked it or not, and was probably motivated to make SC appointments Who might facilitate that process.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Your history of the Eisenhower-Warren relationship is, shall we say, a bit flawed.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Oh yeah I know Warren was kind of a Frankenstein monster for Eisenhower, but unlike our current cement head, perhaps Eisenhower was actually capable of thinking strategically, playing multi level chess instead of retard level tic tac toe.

And Warren's emergence as a champion of civil rights was something of an upset in itself.

In any case Eisenhower did send federal troops to enforce Brown.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope he doesn't wager his Honus Wagner card on that prediction.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So, did Reince hang on to the phone call transcripts with world leaders and leak them?

If not him, who did?

There appear to be dozens and dozens of people who are so alarmed by Trump that these leaks will never stop. Not that it's had much of an impact on the GOP. At what point does Trump actually become a liability to them? When the midterms get closer, I'd assume.

Of course he comes across as an unqualified idiot in those calls. We knew that. But the most telling stuff is about the wall.

It was just a racist dog whistle. Never intended to build it. Never will be built.

Naturally, none of this will matter to his cult. Even Trump's own words will be "Fake News." Lordy, I'm so tired of that term. It makes me nauseous. And it's never going away.

Now he has 17-day vacation coming up. No, I don't care. Maybe he'll do less damage. Though him blasting Obama for vacations/golf and saying he'd be working so hard he'd never leave the White House both look pretty dumb now.

Seventeen days. That's a whole lot of extra time to tweet. Extra popcorn.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

More truth in that one paragraph than anything to come out of Washington this year.

Nonsense. The "New Cold War" started with NATO expansion, got worse with Bush43's withdrawal from the three-decade-old Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, got even worse when America started training Georgia's military and supporting Chechen terrorists, got even worse with the U.S. insistence on regime change in Syria (yet ANOTHER legitimate head of state they want to get rid of, opening the door for another Iraq or Libya or worse), got even worse when the Western-supported coup ousted the legitimate president of Ukraine (what is it about democratically elected presidents that America hates so much anyway?) and hit a low point when the Bear --- relentlessly poked and poked year after year --- decided to protect its interests in Crimea before NATO shoved a military base up its ass there. ... and was hit with sanctions as a result.

We're like Scut Farkus complaining that Farkus-Ralphie Parker relations have hit a low point because Ralphie decided to hit back.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Translation: "Look at the shiftless lazy neegro."

The drum banged every day for 8 years.

Delivered -- how fittingly-- to a trio of grinning dimwit dumbfuck eye candy blithering mannequins, whose entire show consists of nothing but sitting on their pampered silver-spoon asses and bitching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.