1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Let's put that on the pediment of his library. Chisel it into white Vermont imperial Danby marble. Gold leaf it.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but before that Eisenhower dithered and dallied and looked for every way possible to let Faubus do his thing. Only when Faubus lied to him, which Eisenhower took as a personal affront from essentially (in Ike's eyes) a junior officer, did Ike act. Ike gets too much credit for finally stepping in and addressing a mess for which he was partly to blame.

Also, Eisenhower sent Warren to the S.C. in part because Nixon pushed him to ... Warren would have been a formidable national candidate, particularly in contrast to Nixon, who had his own overweening W.H. ambitions.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All true and as I alluded in the original post, I'm sure Eisenhower had no overt intention to overthrow years of segregation in one fell swoop, but my impression is he felt institutional segregation was eventually going to go down and he was not averse to letting SCOTUS take some of the lead on it rather than leave it all to legislation, which would be a lengthy messy process. (As it certainly turned out to be anyway.)

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure ... if you'd told me 20 years ago that one day I'd be comparing/contrasting Donald Fucking Trump to Dwight David Eisenhower I'd have told you you ate the wrong mushrooms at the dinner party.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Libs have worked themselves into a frenzy by claiming every Republican president since Roe vs. Wade would overturn it. None of them have even tried.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised he doesn't know how much milking is not done by hand any more. Not that he's ever set foot on a real farm ...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No shit on that for sure.

Of course, anybody who followed sports closely enough in the 1980s to remember the basics of the USFL saga knew long long ago what a fuckup Trump was.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Donald Trump is not a president but he plays one on TV. And a terrible one at that. Watching him last week during what were, arguably, the worst of many horrible days of this presidency, was to see pure, rampaging id. Aggressive, needy, without logic or reason, Trump continues to rule with ignorance and incoherence, seemingly oblivious to the havoc he causes or maybe just thoroughly enjoying it. ...

“I’m back in the center of the American heartland, far away from the Washington swamp to spend time with thousands of true American patriots. … I’m here this evening to cut through the fake news filter and to speak straight to the American people. Fake news. Fake, fake, fake news. Boy oh boy, people. Is there anyplace that’s more fun, more exciting and safer than a Trump rally?” ...

“Sometimes they say he doesn’t act presidential. And I say, hey look, great schools, smart guy, it’s so easy to act presidential but that’s not gonna to get it done. In fact, I said it’s much easier, by the way, to act presidential than what we’re doing here tonight, believe me. And I said with the exception of the late great Abraham Lincoln, I can be more presidential than any president that’s ever held this office. That I can tell you. It’s real easy. [Cheers] But sadly, we have to move a little faster than that.”

Three Trump Speeches and the Death of a Nation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.