1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Blue Cities Want to Make Their Own Rules. Red States Won’t Let Them.

From the story, written a whole month ago:

At a time when Democrats are locked out of power from the White House, both chambers of Congress, the majority of governor’s offices and three-fifths of the country’s state houses, their ideas at least have one reliable outlet. Democrats still control most of the country’s biggest cities.

Even that power center, though, is increasingly under attack.

In the last few years, Republican-controlled state legislatures have intensified the use of what are known as pre-emption laws, to block towns and cities from adopting measures favored by the left. The states aren’t merely overruling local laws; they’ve walled off whole new realms where local governments aren’t allowed to govern at all.

The pattern has worsened a different kind of partisan war beyond Washington, where the political divide cuts not just across the aisle, but across different levels of government. As standoffs between red states and blue cities grow more rancorous, the tactics of pre-emption laws have become personal and punitive: Several states are now threatening to withhold resources from communities that defy them and to hold their elected officials legally and financially liable.

My point isn't about one national election. It's about what's happened at the state and local level.

Democrats have sustained loss after loss there.

Now, from election night:

These 3 maps show just how dominant Republicans are in America after Tuesday

Results are still trickling in, but it looks like Republicans will still control an all-time high 69 of 99 state legislative chambers. They'll hold at least 33 governorships, tying a 94-year-old record.

That means that come 2017, they'll have total control of government in at least 25 states, and partial control in 20 states. According to population calculations by the conservative group Americans for Tax Reform, that translates to roughly 80 percent of the population living in a state either all or partially controlled by Republicans.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A failed strategy is running the same tactics that lost the last pitched battle.
    This is not just losing federal elections - it is losing governorships, Congress seats, state legislature seats and even mayoralties in some cases. Thousands of seats.
    Nobody is advocating trying to win over the midwestern farmer. Trying to take West Virginia is as foolish as staking a claim to Australia in a game of Risk.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm 68. I couldn't go back and write four columns, at least not ones acceptable to me, a week if offered large sums to do so. Lenny Bruce said it almost 60 years ago. "You'll take a chance on a man when Mutual of Omaha won't?"

5. Michael_ Gee

If you control the California state legislature, that's equal to the populations of about 20 other states. Is a party failing if it has a lock on the biggest state in the union, but not the 10 smallest. BTW, two of the 10 smallest, Delaware and Rhode Island, are even more Democratic than California.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Gee-
    I can't understand why people like Pelosi and McConnell still want to serve.
    If I were 76 years old and worth multi-millions, I'd want a sturdy rocking chair and all the grandkid time I could get.
    Not wrangling over a hot potato of a health-care bill while a sociopath gives self-serving stump-type speeches in Appalachia.
    The natural instinct to learn->teach->pass on a craft is in our cultural genes, and none of these senior lawmakers seem to get it.

Riptide and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, the party is failing.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out.

Not shouting "SOCIAL ISSUES!!!" from the rooftop every campaign doesn't mean dumping them.

It means letting America know you care about SOMETHING ELSE.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

That's just dumb, and you're not dumb. If the party that got the most votes is failing, the country's political system is failing, not the party. Come back in November 2018 and we'll review the bidding. Maybe the Republicans will hold onto all their gains because white racism is the only thing that matters. Or maybe the pendulum will swing back because voters are always dissatisfied with those in charge.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. 3_Octave_Fart

SJW has become the red meat for the left.
    I don't know how many elections they have to lose before they realize gender pronouns isn't a hill worth dying on.

Iron_chet likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fixing up the dump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.