1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

For most Americans, the surgery isn't available in the United States either. Aetna, for instance, "considers vertebral body stapling and vertebral body tethering experimental and investigational for the treatment of scoliosis because its effectiveness has not been established."
    http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/da...00000000000000000000000000059899a4600fd908e1b
    So for someone who has his/her health insurance through Aetna, how are they better off than someone who is covered by the NHS? I assume that's why you posted this story.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh God ... only you could take the Lump of Labor fallacy and fold it into a broader strawman re: culture.

Automation and robots are responses to labor's increasing scarcity (and therefore rising cost).

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Isn't it more accurate to say relative cost of labor than rising cost? Even if the labor pool remains the same and costs are stagnant it seems there are economic efficiencies to be derived from automation, no?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thought they're already using low-skill workers, on the sidewalks, anyway.

Cw0-b2iVQAAZUUJ.jpg

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An enormous percentage, like close to 20 , of recent job increases (think the data is 2010-2014) are in food and beverage service (restaurants and bars) jobs that are not readily automated, but which are also notoriously low-paying and unstable. Health and elder care are also not readily automated. Manufacturing jobs are, but then, somebody's got to build and most importantly program the automatons, don't they?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. And there are instances in which automation does work better than humans (it's more reliable, more accurate, etc.). But people should never forget that automation is in the main a substitute for scarce, and therefore relatively expensive, labor. And in availing themselves of this substitute, firms ultimately make that scarce resource available for use to meet other (and currently unfulfilled) wants.

9. cranberry

And even the food and beverage industry can be automated to an extent. You can't order a drink at LaGuardia without using a touchscreen.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Preface: This is as anecdotal as anecdotal gets, and I had had a few drinks before this discussion, so apply the requisite grain of salt.

My brother-in-law is partner track at a (non-Silicon Valley) technology consulting firm, and my wife is a technology instructor at a high school. We were discussing the efforts she makes to get coding incorporated into the curriculum, and he shook his head and said that was a bad area of focus. His prediction is that even the coding will become automated in the next 20 years or so. I can't for the life of me remember where he said the jobs WOULD be (again, was drinking), but it's what he would bet on.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, that's the big question about artificial intelligence. Is it different in kind from all the other technological advances through history that were predicted to destroy employment but didn't do so? I certainly don't know, but in economics, I do know that the burden of proof is always on the side that says "this time it's different."

12. cranberry

Automation will increase as long as it's cost efficient relative to labor, whether the labor pool is increasing, decreasing or stagnant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.