1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I for one feel super comfortable with an incompetent asshole with a severe inferiority complex leading the country and making threats about nuclear war.

Oh, wait. Maybe this is worrisome.

Perhaps those important liberal tears will extinguish the post-nuke flames.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like something Kim Jong-un would say.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, obviously Truman did more than just threaten. It has been reported Eisenhower PRIVATELY told the Chinese he was prepared to use nukes to end the Korean War. That's different from a public threat. It was clear to even a young boy (me) that Kennedy was prepared to go nuclear in the Cuban Missile Crisis, but he never said so, and was also looking for and eventually finding a peaceful solution.
    TSP's statement above is the problem. It does sound like that. And just as we as a country are inclined officially and unofficially to treat such rhetoric as bullshit from a dangerous crank, it is likely North Korea will react to Trump the same way.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Guess I'll leave the radio on CONELRAD tonight just in case.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Eventually there might be a "Who said it: Kim Jong-un or Donald Trump" game.

Perhaps we'll play it by candlelight.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So you're saying this is not only a test of the EBS.

9. HanSenSE

That's the problem. Ike said it in private. Trump said it in public and will likely retweet it, just because he has small hands.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think my point for that was there is plenty to be worried about Trump's statement without resorting to making sweeping historical declarations. It A) sets up the inevitable "but a Democrat!!!eleventy!!!" and 2) skews just how terrifying that statement is in context of today.

11. HanSenSE

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We'll see what happens, but Mark Bowden made the point in the Atlantic that Kim Jong-un has absolutely zero to gain by initiating an attack against the United States or South Korea. While chances are pretty high that his own attack would be unsuccessful, and certainly he couldn't do much other than temporarily wobble the Western world and/or the U.S., he, his nation, and everything he has worked to build would cease to exist within an hour or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.