1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Which piece is that?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Would probably be about as effective as everything else that's been tried w.r.t. North Korea.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

So we're back to the whole, "Take him seriously, not literally," thing?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, he didn't do that.

He promised to deliver fire and fury, if a nuclear armed nation, with the newfound capability to deliver such a weapon to our shores, continued to make threats.

I'd be upset if he did anything less.

Seriously, what's the issue?

We are going to have to take out the weapons, and/or launch sites, if our intelligence shows that they are prepared to strike us, right? That's what it's going to come to.

Maybe it goes without saying, but I don't see the harm in making this clear.

6. Dick Whitman

You just added a whole lot that he didn't say.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe, but don't worry about that. Isn't the real issue something someone else did years ago, not my potential idiocy today?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No I didn't.

You're exhibiting your own case of confirmation bias. Trump is crazy, therefore anything Trump says or does is crazy.

His response was rational. Anything less would have been questionable.

9. Dick Whitman

You're wrong. He threatened a pre-emptive attack, perhaps nuclear, in response to continued bluster. That's not rational.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When the first nukes go off, there will be many who will clap their hands and rub them together in excitement over the prospect of liberals being upset (snowflake libs!). I suspect many of those will blame Obama, others Hillary Clinton. A few will almost assuredly "LOL."

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The problem with "well we have to escalate threats, it's the only rational response to threats" is not considering the feedback loop it creates.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The UN threatened further sanctions against North Korea, effectively threatening to put North Korea in timeout.

North Korea responded by saying it would have a "physical response" which is essentially threatening to punch you in the face if you put them in timeout.

Trump took North Korea's threat to punch people in the face by saying he's going to murder his family and burn his house to the ground. He is stooping to Kim Jong's level, acting just as irrational and justifying a child to act even more childish.

There was a middle ground that would project power and not accepting North Korea's threats while not being just as crazy as North Korea. The old speak softly and carry a big stick would have been a better response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.