1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A continuation of policy:

Obama's written statement, released by the White House Friday morning, contained some of Obama's most blunt language on the North Korean nuclear program to date. It came hours after the isolated communist regime said it had tested its largest nuclear warhead yet — and designed it to sit atop a ballistic missile.

"To be clear, the United States does not, and never will, accept North Korea as a nuclear state,"

Obama: U.S. will not accept a nuclear North Korea

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That quote is not remotely the same.

RickStain likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

Obama drew the line at them simply becoming a nuclear state, with, or without bluster.

They became a nuclear state today.

We have every right to act, based on pre-existing policy.

Trump as pushed back Obama's red line.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the question the entire world is asking. About both of them.

5. YankeeFan

Of course it is, unless you think he meant nothing by it.

It clearly meant that we would use all means necessary, including military means, to prevent them from becoming a nuclear state.

Our intelligence, which said they were years away from being able to arm a missile, now says they can arm a missile.

Any continuation of Obama's policy, would mandate that we take action.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You didn't deny Dickie's assertion. In fact, you didn't respond to it at all. Why is that?

7. YankeeFan

Go play in traffic. I'm not getting sucked into a discussion with you.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, he's not. And North Korea ain't doing shit, either.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Lemme just say I don't take today's intelligence estimates at face value. We heard a month ago that Trump was eyeing North Korea as his chance to wag the dog.

I wanna hear an estimate of their nuclear capabilities from an unbiased source before this turns into Iraq all over again.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If that was speaking softly, calm and rationally, I'd hate to hear what he says if he gets wound up.

Diplomat speak exists for a reason. Particular phrases have specific meanings, and everyone knows what the phrases that ramp up a country's expression of anger translate as. "They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen" is nowhere in that lexicon, and no one knows what it really means. It certainly sounds like a threat to go to a preemptive strike, and no one wants that to happen.

Riptide and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't ask for a discussion. I asked why you are ducking Dickie's assertion that Trump couldn't do or say anything that you would disagree with on this board. First you tried to change the subject and now you are hiding behind a personal attack against me.

Need a ruling from the SJ.com community. How does "Go play in traffic" stack up with '"Die in a fire?" I think the latter is worse, but the former is still kinda shitty. Thoughts?

12. YankeeFan

Wait, so now, the intelligence community, which was out to get Trump, is giving him assessments that he's requested?

JFC. If Trump questions the IC, it's a fucking scandal. Now, he takes their word for it, and it's also a scandal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.