1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not a banana republic/sham democracy yet. But trending in that direction with no sign whatsoever that they intend to slow down.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody told Trump those diplomats are still on the payroll?

Webster and HanSenSE like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

14 minutes? Watch out, Lake Tahoe.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What makes you think that?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is no accountability. The checks and balances aren't checking and balancing. You have a faction of the government that is very unpopular (Cong. approval at 16 pct or so) supporting a leader who has only slightly higher approval (Trump - 38 pct) to pass a law with 12 pct support that would supplant a law with 50 percent support.
    There is nothing that said consent of the governed only applies on Election Day. And I don't want polling to dictate every decision made by our government. But when you have a body so willfully abandoning the pretense that they are representatives of "the people" and the people no longer feel that the body is representative of them - that is a pretty big problem. The foundation of our democracy lies in our people's "belief" in it, and continuing support. You can stretch election boundaries and rules a long time, but at some point you end up breaking the covenant we have with each other and our government.

DanielSimpsonDay and HanSenSE like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

More than one disgruntled lefty commenter was hinting at Starman solutions on that page. An ugly blowback is building.

Meanwhile, Alabama has been a state for nearly 198 years now, and still is fighting hammer and tong to keep the masses away from the polls.

Are you registered to vote, Alabama? Are you sure? You'd better check

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Not to pick nits, but 38 percent is a hell of a lot higher than 16 percent.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

We survived dozens of years of Dem rule. I think the GOP would still get up and go to work every day.

Might be a few assholes who would make noise just to be assholes, but on the whole? Republicans don't riot. They just figure out some new way to fuck the little guy.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Did you have 12 year ago of Dems controlling all three branches and most states while intentionally restricting Republican voting rights?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I checked. I wasn't, my registration was suspended. I changed addresses. I'm now four blocks from the old house. I guess they couldn't find me.

I'm white though, so I can get it fixed day of the vote. Black folks, well... your vote might get counted,

Might not.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let me be the 1,200th person to call you a Goody Two Shoes.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

When Dems had power I don't remember there being all these stories about gerrymandering and blatantly rigging the rules to favor one party in local elections.

In retrospect, maybe that's what they should've done, then they wouldn't be out of power now. But I don't think they did, at least not to the same extent Republicans seem to be doing now. It's a bit harder to take the "just get up and go to work every day" posture when you know the other side is exploiting its advantage via rule rigging and cheating.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.