1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Much like he can't bring himself to criticize Putin, he can't bring himself to explicitly denounce the Nazis. He knows who his people are.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Aside from being completely tone deaf in light of today's events, why was Trump having a Saturday signing for a bill to overhaul the VA, which arguably would mark the most popular thing he's done in office to date? That's politics 101 stuff he's botching.

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has to prove it's a working vacation somehow

5. RickStain

Absolutely correct.

Spartan Squad and Smallpotatoes like this.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Obama would have said the exact same thing.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Being a tone-deaf egomaniac is not grounds for impeachment, but I have to believe there are people meeting behind the scenes to figure out if there's any plausible way to convince him to do that. Forcing him out in some form or fashion would not only be a terrible precedent but also embolden the true believers. I think I just wrote a movie plot.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  8. RickStain

Not convincing him to resign *also* sets a horrible precedent. A worse one.

A mentally-ill man with repeated social media connections to a small but growing Nazi uprising has improbably ascended to the Presidency of the United States.

There's no ending to this that magically undoes the damage. The true believers are *already* emboldened. That's what this rally was about, how bold they feel. From parading Nazi flags to dressing up in camo and pretending to be the National Guard.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Unless this photo is doctored, it doesn't look like it's removed. Maybe on the front, I guess.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Reporter asks Trump, "Do you want the support of these groups?"

He doesn't answer. Keeps walking off stage.

The argument that he renounced D Duke during the campaign is now moot.

In addition to proving his tolerance for racism, this is just dumb. How hard would it be to say, "No," and keep walking?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

No, the bad precedent I am referring to is forcing him out in any illegal or nefarious way. I think talking him into stepping down is the only valid recourse save for a smoking gun.

12. RickStain

Because he does support them, for some definitions of support. The most generous interpretation of the facts is that he employs an awful lot of people that think these groups are right but maybe go too far with tactics.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.