1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I agree that sexual obsession is creepy.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

They also know that they need those same unsavory supporters too.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. Totally unnecessary. I suspect the reason has more to do with Ivanka's relationship to the truly objectionable one rather than with Ivanka's political statements, but these comments are nonetheless repulsive.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. The republican primary voters are in sync with Trump . Running from trump may be a general election strategy, but in gerrymandered districts where voters will pull for any republican over any democrat, trump,voters will control the party. If 35% of the electorate controls 51% of the seats, trumpism is the minority majority government we've been waiting for.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Another difference is that for the most part, the Islamic extremists aren't Americans. These guys are. To me, that necessitates the extra denunciation, but I understand if people think I'm splitting hairs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Corps of Cadets at Texas Agricultural and Military College provided many officers to the WWII military. I think that you might very well be right, especially after yesterday. A bunch of those Texas kids are going to say "That shit's not going to happen here."

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As disgusting as you are, I've never resorted to telling you to fuck off. It's really pathetic that you can't discuss real issues without the vulgarities, and bringing your own sexual hang ups, that you project onto others, into the discussion.

You know, a guy can get fired from Google for his sexist views. Folks who marched in Charlottesville will likely not find their job opportunities abundant.

I really wonder who would want to employ you, considering your views.

It's no wonder you won't put your name to them, and hide behind anonymity. It's the digital equivalent of a white hood.

You're hateful coward. At least the idiots in Virginia showed their faces.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think you missed the "without wrecking their own party" part of my post. This is not the same situation. The Dems controlled Congress in 1974, so the folks doing the removing didn't give a shit about the damage they were doing to Nixon's Republican Party.

Very different situation here where you'd be asking a Republican congress to turn on one of their own by removing the President that Republican voters elected, something they know could rip their own party wide open for years to come.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. He loved to talk about the fucking crusades, and anytime he criticized any totalitarian regime, he would also talk about our own problems with race.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think we're ever going to get *that* moment. That's a liberal escapist fantasy, that somehow the damage done in the 2016 election can be flipped off with a switch.

What there is, is a dial that gets slowly turned. We had high-level Republicans openly criticizing the White House's response yesterday. That is a fairly big deal.

Russian sanctions. McConnell fighting back in public. Mueller appointment. DoD announcing they are ignoring presidential tweets as policy. Members of his own party openly contradicting him when he threatens war. And we are barely half a year in.

This is a remarkably weak presidency. Which suits Trump just fine, because it's delivering him attention and that's how he measures success.

And we aren't even in the real pressure cookers yet. There has been no international crisis despite his attempts to manufacture one in NK. Health care was an optional congressional fight that he failed to deliver on, but the budget and debt ceiling fights are not optional.

Trump's unpopularity managed to turn +20 safe districts into contested special elections. And that was preseason, the real midterms are the playoffs, and while it's a long way away, if he is anything like this unpopular then, he will cost Congress members their job, and they tend to get touchy about that.

I'm not wildly concerned about Trump becoming more popular. How many presidents manage to drop their approval rating below 40 in their honeymoon period with a growing economy? The only way you could do that is if you are so inept that you had a chance to simply say "I hate Nazis" and get unifying crisis cheers and you managed to punt that.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Years to come? I don't think so (could be wrong). Trump's base aren't going to ever vote Democratic. They might stay home for the 2018 election, but by 2020, noble Christian President Pence will be running against a new Democratic super villain. They'll come back.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The biggest difference is that we all know damn well that when car attacks happened in France or England, Trump didn't hesitate to tweet about radical Islamic terror. It happens here and you see the tack he took.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.