1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump called the Pope disgraceful, but not American Nazis

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We don't know it to be true.

Spencer isn't just a neo-Nazi, he's also a lying self-promoter. Of course he wants to link his ideas directly to the White House.

If Miller is a bad as folks say he is, there would be evidence of such. Others would back Spencer's claim. His writings for the paper at Duke, which we're told are horrible, would actually be quoted, and exposed.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. We should strip first amendment rights from Nazism.

Civil freedom is a peace treaty. It cannot be held with people whose avowed intention is to use it to tear it down.

All rights have limitations. Every single one. It is not unreasonable to put Nazi fascism on the wrong side of that line.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ryan Braun was framed.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nothing in the tweet you cited applies to the words you typed.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Many sides.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You are making a general "all leftists" comment. You are conveniently forgetting about the ACLU, which represented the Nazis in court in this matter.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jesus, the Abi Wilkinson is saying this?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trump has played the blame game with the left so many times, it's all he knows to do. A one-trick pony. Now he not only has to criticize the right, but needs to take the lead in doing so, and as we saw in the health care battle in Congress, he has no leadership skills politically. Sad!

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Actually, this is a good one for the "changed my mind" thread.

I used to be hardcore ACLU-style freedom of speech. Not just as a legal right, but as a moral philosophy. But it doesn't work. Sometimes an action, including speech, is meant as an assault on people's rights to feel secure. That includes some ideas. It's the paradox of tolerance: tolerance cannot be forced to accept intolerance's attempts to tear it down. This is the same reason I've come around on the existence of hate crime statutes.

Yes, I'm aware this is a slippery slope. Can't be helped.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I believe Trumpists and Klansmen and Neo Nazis have the right to free speech and peaceful assembly. Emphasis on peaceful. Once they get violent, the deal's over. They are no longer protected.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe you were for about 2 hours.

Then that bad LSD trip wore off, and after what seemed like 5 years to you, you decided "fuck this."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.