1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Link?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

See, the angle that armed protesters aren't "peacefully assembling" is a much better argument.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A real stunner, that ...

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In the cases of #BLM protests, I don't remember any counter protesters coming out to engage them.

The #BLM folks -- as the Occupy folks before them -- were trying to provoke a reaction, and even violence, but it was the police they were looking to get this reaction from.

And, they did this not by just hurling insults and spitting on them, but by blocking streets, breaking windows, looting, and hurling objects at the police.

They made the police their enemy.

And, like with what happened in Charlottesville, their plans were ruined when one supporter decided to take things to another level, and commit murder.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So holding a weapon in your hand is a threat of violence, but announcing your intention to do violence isn't?

6. YankeeFan

I don't doubt that they may have wanted violence.

My only question is how do you decide what's in a person's mind?

If they have the right to open carry in a place like Virginia, what steps would you take prior to their march/protest?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

If you advocate violence in response to speech, you are advocating for more violence, period.

Let's condemn the speech, and let's prosecute the murderer to the fullest extent of the law.

I don't think people realize where this will go if we continue to encourage a violent reaction to speech we don't like.

You think the abortion debate is ugly now? How about if both sides decide that the counter position should be met with violence?

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Bullshit. This fallback argument is so tired.

The sanctimonious "privilege" stance cuts off any meaningful debate, because the people who call upon it don't want debate. They know they are on the right side of everything.

10. RickStain

Did you or did you not say "I don't understand" why people would argue for safe spaces?

You maybe right or wrong, but you don't have to worry about Milo showing up at your campus and sharing private facts about your life that could subject you to violence.

Nobody's speech is making you unsafe. That's why you don't understand it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. RickStain

I don't know how to break this to you, but...

12. RickStain

Calling it "speech" is sanitization. It isn't speech. It's a threat.

"We intend to accumulate political power, and when we have it, we will strip you of equal protection under the law and do violence to you." That is the position they are advocating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.