1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seriously man -- if someone shows up with weapons, it isn't a great leap to assume what's in their mind. There is a public safety aspect to this, you know.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Take your pick of sayings: What goes around, comes around; be careful what you wish for. These knee-jerk responses completely ignore the ideals that the proponents supposedly are defending. You push to restrict freedom, that's going to come back on you at some point. You can try and pick and choose who gets to enjoy fundamental rights, but that's the sliperryest of slopes. What happens when someone decides YOU don't get to speak, assemble, etc.? The tradeoff for the unprecedented freedoms we enjoy is that we have to deal with some who take advantage of them. What's the tradeoff for abandoning freedom?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know ... for the vast majority of these dipshits, weapons are fashion accessories ...

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Just want to say I'm against open carry of tiki torches. I would think most cities have ordinances to keep protesters from gathering with weapons, no?

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Trump's speech about North Korea makes me feel unsafe. Because it makes me, personally, feel unsafe, should it be banned?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Look at it this way:

Nazis have as much right to free speech as North Korea has to develop a nuclear arsenal for self-defense.

7. RickStain

I see no reason why it should be allowed on a college campus.

8. SnarkShark

How about, instead of banning it from a public sphere, you vocally oppose it? Stand up to the abhorrent speech with your own, to reinforce the American value of free speech, instead of disallowing speech outright?

9. RickStain

Because it's too dangerous to risk mere denunciation being enough to stop it. We have an example of what happens when it is allowed to take power using the political process. It was pretty bad.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm with you mostly.

However, this is the goal of the alt-right. They openly want a race war. They are trying for these confrontations. This is the goal.

Public safety has to matter here.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

That's cowardice, then.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

As a man who serves as a mosquito buffet every summer, I'm triggered. You can pry my citronella from my cold, dead hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.