1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why? Does she have a history getting caught telling fake stories like Lena?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There isn't much to lean on today in terms of "let's talk about anything besides Trump's Nazi ties." He's trying though.

BadgerBeer, JC and dixiehack like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait, putting elf arms in Nazi salutes isn't part of the War on Christmas we've been warned about for the past few years!?!

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I saw a neighbour I hadn't seen in a while this weekend. His adult son was bipolar. He lived in his own place in the city, but sometimes he would come home and invariably the police would be called, because he'd lose his shit and start screaming and being violent toward his parents. He OD'd a few weeks ago. My neighbour said, "I used to wake up at 3 am and worry about where he was. Now I wake up at 3 am and know exactly where he is. I just live in a different hell now." It really rocked me. Mental illness is a plague, and the effects it has on people beyond the immediate sufferers... I wouldn't wish those burdens are anybody.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fortunately only the white terrorists are mentally ill. The others are a product of ideology.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its also bad when it afflicts the president of the United States.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Imma let you finish.

But maybe we table the "Who's the Boss?" round table until we get your thoughts on the President's performance in a crisis this weekend?

doctorquant likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I found this article pretty interesting.

Looks like most employers, if they plan, recruit, and pay better wages, really could find American workers to do the seasonal work that foreigners have been doing.

They prefer foreign workers to college and high school employees, but fort he most part, it they could fill these positions without relying on foreign labor if they needed to.

We do a disservice to young workers when we don't give them jobs. They don't get valuable work experience. We take money out of communities that could desperately use it. As a result, we end up with older workers, making minimum wage.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. Dick Whitman

Noted libtard J.D. Vance doesn't believe that young men in these mostly rural, downtrodden communities actually want to work. He writes that the idea of hard-working real 'Mericans is basically a myth.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll let Yankeefan know when I see the deplorables out in the fields up and down California, hunched over 8 + hours a day, picking strawberries.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've already criticized the president's response. He should have been more forceful, and more specific.

He should have called out the racists ideologies that were on display, and that led to -- and motivated -- the death of Heather Heyer.

I think what we see on display, as reported by Glenn Thrush, and the New York Times, is that Trump is too focussed on this violence simply being a law and order issue, that needs to be better policed.

At the center of the discussion was Mr. Bossert, who laid out the situation on the ground, including a description of provocations by both protesters and counterprotesters, according to a White House official.

Two hard-edge economic populists — Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s chief strategist, and Stephen Miller, a senior adviser — spoke with Mr. Trump repeatedly on Saturday, the person said, although it was not clear if Mr. Bannon had offered him advice on his comments.

Mr. Trump listened attentively, according to another person familiar with the discussions, but repeatedly steered the conversation to the breakdown of “law and order,” and the responsibility of local officials to stem the violence.

Mr. Bossert, in an interview Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” dismissed any suggestion that the president had failed to adequately condemn white supremacists.

Mr. Bossert praised the statement the president made on Saturday — which denounced the “egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides” — saying that Mr. Trump had appropriately criticized an event that “turned into an unacceptable level of violence at all levels.”

“This isn’t about President Trump — this is about a level of violence and hatred that could not be tolerated in this country,” Mr. Bossert told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “I was with the president yesterday, and I’m proud of the fact that he stood up and calmly looked into the camera and condemned this violence and bigotry in all its forms. This racial intolerance and racial bigotry cannot be condoned.”

White House Acts to Stem Fallout From Trump’s First Charlottesville Remarks

12. Dick Whitman

Trump is such a stubborn and vindictive horse's ass, I'm fairly well convinced that the main reason he won't say the magic words about white supremacists is that the people who didn't vote for him are pushing him to do so, and he cannot bring himself to give them a millimeter.

doctorquant, JC, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.