1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"On many sides" is going to be a huge part of his legacy. It's one of those moments you never get out from under.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's probably right in large degree.

It's a decent choice when you weigh a life of benefits vs. a life of low wage labor. Removing some of the benefits and improving the wages probably is necessary to get some people working.

Giving people work experience from a young age would probably help too. If you've never worked, there's a lot of inertia in play. If you parents and neighbors don't work, you have no role models.

But, people who can work, shouldn't be supported, when there are jobs available.

Our safety net really should focus on folks who are unable to work -- or for some period of time, are unable to find work.

When we take away the entry level jobs, we are inviting people not to work.

3. YankeeFan

I think there's something to your first point. He does not like to be told what to do, let alone to feel like he's being forced to do something. (Especially if that something is what the left and the media is demanding that he do.)

The "many sides" thing was an unforced error, and sounded like an ad lib. His statement was going well until he said that, and then repeated it.

There are problems with violence on many sides. There are. But on the day a white supremacist ran people down in his car, killing one, this was not the day for this point.

I think Trump does see all of these things as connected to a breakdown in law and order. Regardless, he should have stuck to the topic, and made it clear that the neo-Nazi ideology is abhorrent, is rejected by all good people in America, and has no place in our society -- and that he personally rejects it and wants those who hold these beliefs know that he rejects them, their beliefs, and their support.

4. YankeeFan

There is a need for some seasonal workers, but it's been exploited.

When I was growing up, everyone I know had a summer job. You might beed foreign, seasonal workers to pick strawberries, but you don't need them to scoop ice cream.

At Navy Pier, almost all the workers are seasonal, foreign workers. This is because employers prefer these workers, not because they can't fill the positions otherwise.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is YF still hunting for examples of Alyssa Milano telling fake stories? Or is he just going to ignore that question and move on to other shit? It's certainly possible she made it up, but I haven't seen any evidence of such behavior from her in the past.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good one. Them and partisan humps like you are the only people who still support him. You're a party to it. Just accept it.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

Antifa clashes with police in Seattle aren't getting much attention today:

[​IMG]

The police statement said officers kept the groups separate "in the interest of safety for all those involved." The statement added police pepper-sprayed protesters after they tried to force their way past a police barricade using a makeshift shield.

Later, some protesters hurled fireworks and possibly rocks at officers, the statement said.

Right-wing rally goes ahead in Seattle — despite violence in Virginia

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The local PD and state troopers were outgunned by the white nationalist militias.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is farm work 12 months a year out here.

Maybe this should go on the 'change my mind' thread, but living most of my life in California has convinced me that nobody outworks the fucking mexicans. Certainly not Millenial white or black people. My wife works at a restaurant. She sees the people who work the graveyard shift cleaning her restaurant go over across the street to prep cook at another restaurant at daybreak. The hustle I see from the guys looking for any work at the Home Depot parking lot.

And god forbid they can't find work, there is no begging at the street corner, like the white or black folk. They are selling something to hustle a few bucks. Flowers, bags of oranges.

To think that the xbox playing white/black kids, who game the system in California by getting their financial aid checks (and then drop out of their JC classes) and ebt cards, are suddenly going to start cleaning carpets on the graveyard shifts, is almost laughable.

Iron_chet and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would stop at this point and put some good hard thought into whether your chosen tactic today is going to be to try to drum up sympathy for Nazis.

I don't think that's necessarily a winner.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Anybody dead yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.