1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I agree with this, although I would shift the blame to the city administration for waiting until a week before the rally to try to move it from Emancipation Park to McIntire Park. I think they put the police in a nearly impossible situation.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is very helpful information and much as I suspected.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

THAT is what should have been said in the hours after. It shouldn't be this difficult.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Because the violence began before the permitted start time of the rally?

The violence began because the antifa folks showed up at the site of the Nazi rally, not at the site designated for their counter protest.

Early arrivals wouldn't have resulted in violence if they each went to their appointed grounds.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is very true. There's a reason the city holds the Dogwood carnival, fireworks and other large events in McIntire. They are actually probably pretty lucky there wasn't more damage of property and/or looting of downtown businesses.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Inappropriate.

Even if we believe there's a 99 percent chance that's exactly what happened, he could have been moved to speak by nothing more than a "Daddy, I believe you should mention . . . . " by Ivanka this morning.

Your story needs to account for that. Mention the "overwhelming pressure" in the second graph as a matter of fact, and let the reader connect the dots however he/she sees fit.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The Times is attributing motive to him as settled fact in a straight news lede. Shouldn't do that.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The permit, which had not yet taken affect, for a demonstration in Emancipation Park did not authorize acts of violence, whether they occurred in the park at the appointed time, in the park before the appointed time, or outside the park. HTH.

9. YankeeFan

Dude who lost his job worked at a hot dog stand. I'm guessing that was a high paying job.

Most of these guys appeared to be young losers. Mostly students. Outing will hurt their future earning potential I'm sure, but I'm not sure the hot dog guy was up for any high paying jobs.

wmwalton likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shit, he didn't even want to read this. Someone put shock wires around his balls and pressed the button a few times during this reading.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Mike London was there. He was a cop, ya know?

Jake_Taylor and Big Circus like this.
  12. YankeeFan

They write from memory, when they could simply review his words before writing.

It keeps happening. Your memory is not a source.

Fuck. I always reference David Carr, who, knowing his own memory would not suffice, reported his own autobiography.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.