1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I wonder if Braun can hit like his old man.

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna and nietsroob17 like this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Yep, no paternity test needed there. Guess Braun's dad really isn't Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Congrats, Baron Corbin. You've just been Sandow'ed.

Batman likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Corbin does nothing for me, so I'm not too saddened to see that misfire. I also like that they flipped the script on the "vulnerable champion" cash-in.
    Still, I hate that the contract gets thrown away like that.
    Is that weird?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Corbin has a lot of potential, but I'd be fine with him getting a big build-up to becoming champion. He kinda reminds me of a younger Randy Orton. Not much charisma, but just a solid all-around performer.

I'm also OK if, once in a while, the cash-in fails. Helps in making the whole thing more unpredictable. And better that it fails with a heel. If it happens with a popular face, then fans get upset that the guy isn't catching a break.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its just crazy how this whole Mahal title run has unfolded. His only clean decision since getting the No 1 contender spot was a loss to Orton after their feud ended? And now this? Bizarro.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And there's about a .00001 percent chance he walks out of Summer Slam with the title, right?
    If Corbin got Sandow'd, then Mahal got Mizzed.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Dodo booking again by WWE tho, Cena is facing Corbin at SummerSlam so he just cost himself a shot at the title by "interfering"

9. Baron Scicluna

Kayfabe-wise, was he really interfering? He was just climbing onto the apron, and looked like he was half out of it. Since he was on the floor, maybe he didn't know what was going on, climbed up, got knocked off, and that was it.

Plus also, in old-school kayfabe-wise, the match might not have been a title match since it already wasn't one beforehand.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

How dare I try to make sense of WWE storylines :D

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Especially when pro wrestling rules are so inconsistent.

I mean, some places, an out-of-ring wrestler had until 10 to get back in the ring. In others, 20. In some places, it was illegal to be thrown over the top rope. In others, it wasn't. In Memphis, piledrivers were allegedly illegal (kayfabe-wise). Ironically, it used to be legitimately illegal in Philadelphia to fight outside the ring (that ended way before the bingo-hall era).

And don't get me started on the 30-day title defense rule.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Kayfabe wise why the hell did the ref hold Corbin back for as long as he did? "Seeing if the champ could go" Since when does that matter?

His shoulder was also about as up as KOs was 2 weeks ago. Roll up botch.

The only consistency in kayfabe is that its inconsistent.

Draft saved Draft deleted