1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm 99 percent certain that Trump, Bannon, et al, would very much like the white supremacist wing of their supporters to kindly STFU. Certainly they don't mind their votes, but the votes of the genuinely open and militant are a drop in the bucket and aren't swinging shit in a national election. They capture these idiots as collateral damage when they pursue the "I have black friends" bloc.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

... Charles Lindbergh's wormfood corpse, Mickey Mouse, Hitler's mustache ...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yeah, the one who lost track of how many guns he had...

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Not at all.

I mean, I guess Confederate generals have/had a natural constituency. Thousands served under them, and thousands more descended from those who served under them.

And, I can see how folks could view that service as noble, and want to honor it.

(And, please, don't anyone put words in my mouth. I'm not advocating for statues honoring Confederate generals, or defending them. And, I know many were put up long after the war, by folks who's motivations included honoring the racist nature of the Confederate States. I'm only acknowledging that I understand why some would favor building and preserving such statues.)

But, who was Taney's constituency? Was he viewed positively for some period of time, before history's judgement turned against him?

I really don't know, and I don't know the history of when or how the statue was erected.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Thanks to Trump. He personally arranged their hosting with Putin.

I don't understand it. Doesn't make Trump look good.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and he was from Baltimore. Thomas Jefferson didn't cover himself in glory on race issues, and you'll be prying UVa's connection to him from its cold dead hand.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I found the history of Taney statues and busts to be interesting.

Roger B. Taney Monument in Mount Vernon

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Can confirm. People talk about Sally Hemings, sure, but true repudiation of Jefferson will never happen.

For what it's tangentially worth, when I last went to Monticello a decade or so ago, they did a pretty decent job contextualizing his use of slaves. His own people don't sugarcoat that issue.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, for those keeping score, in the last 27 days, we have seen:

* The Communications Director resign, and a replacement named
    * The new Communications Director shows no understanding about talking to reporters, calls one up, curses out his bosses with sexually-explicit language
    * The Chief of Staff is fired, and a replacement named
    * New Communications Director quits after just 11 days, tying the record for shortest tenure with a guy who had been a part of the Hitler Boy Scouts as a youth.
    * President threatens nuclear war with North Korea
    * President threatens military intervention, for some inexplicable reason, with Venezuela
    * President responds to attack at white supremacist rally by morally equivocating both sides
    * Upon plenty of bipartisan criticism, two days later, President flip-flops and finally denounces white supremacists. White supremacists get upset
    * Just one day later, President flip-flops again, and in unscripted remarks, says both sides were to blame for the violence, and that there are some good people with the white supremacists.

That about cover it? Did I miss anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.