1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sad

Trump's favorite poll says his strong approval rating is below 30 percent

President Trump has praised Rasmussen Reports for producing "the most accurate" polls, although the latest news from the polling company might not have him so thrilled. As of Tuesday, Rasmussen finds Trump's "strong" approval rating is a mere 26 percent, while 45 percent of people "strongly disapprove" of the job he is doing in office.​

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also worth noting that protecting the Jefferson statue by the Rotunda was the centerpiece of the counterprotestors on Friday night. These are people who most would view as SJWs in almost any other context, and they're guarding a statue of Jefferson. That's how important he is to the school.

Also, it's hard to put into words the experience of seeing these events take place somewhere you've spent so much time. I'm sure others on here have those kinds of feelings about other places these things happen. That statue is roughly 100 yards from where I proposed to my wife, and the same distance the other way from the church where we got married. And I've walked where the car ran over Heather Heyer dozens of times.

HanSenSE and Johnny Dangerously like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess. He died 55 years after Jefferson, but I suppose some were proud of the association between him and Maryland in the tears after his death.

Jefferson is complicated as hell.

The way history treats him has already changed so much since I was a kid, when any mention of him was glowing.

I visited Monticello as a kid, and the issue of slavery was glossed over at best. Visiting this last May, they really make an effort to tell his whole story, good and bad.

As for statues, it's interesting. Students at UVA once saved a statue of Jefferson from a fire, and their efforts are memorialized in the little museum they have in the Rotunda.

The life-size statue of Thomas Jefferson was sculpted by Alexander Galt, a Norfolk native. Completed in 1861, the statue once stood in the dome room. Students removed it from the three-foot marble pedestal during the fire of 1895. They used ropes to lower the statue onto a library table, which immediately collapsed beneath its weight. Working frantically, students ma- neuvered the statue onto a mattress, down the west staircase and out the main door just as the Rotunda became an inferno. The statue suffered virtually no damage. When the statue was initially unveiled in the presence of Jefferson's granddaughter, Mary Randolph, she exclaimed it was the best likeness she had ever seen of her grandfather.

Jefferson's Rotunda

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You and I are ships in the night on this thread, man.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

* Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?
    * Link?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I felt like you stole my thunder as i read your post, having just completed mine.

The more you learn about the entire Hemmings family, the more fucked up the story is, and the harder it become to defend Jefferson.

It's easy to say he was a man of the times, and that slavery was legal and common, but the relationship with Hemmings is evil. She was a kid, and a slave. Folks want to justify it, claiming it was a loving relationship, and that he treated her well.

He owned her, and began a sexual relationship with her when she was what, 16-years-old, at best.

Big Circus likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"The fact that none of our people killed anybody unjustly is a plus for us."

"I think that a lot more people are going to die before we're done here, frankly."

Those two comments, plus the stash of guns he and others are carrying, should be enough for any city to deny a permit on the grounds of public safety. Soon enough, one of these overcompensators is going to wonder why the hell he's carrying all that weaponry if he never gets to use it.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, that guys is repulsive and a little scary.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You've a broader understanding of the scope of the politics thread than I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.