1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I can't think of a more damning statement about a man than: Abraham Lincoln refused to comment on your death and you were the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I know the guy at the top of the billboard gets a lot of the publicity, but Dred Scott was decided 7-2, and the dissenters weren't exactly pushing the noblest of points.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The biggest Trump supporter on the board's defenses of Trump the last 24-72 hours or so seem increasingly, um, tempered.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The overcompensators never learn

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This same exact sentiment could, potentially, be applied to Trump's thought that there might have been people out there who didn't want the Robert E. Lee statue taken down for reasons other than support of slavery/pure love of hatred/Nazism, etc. -- i.e. people who love the South (there are many), consider Lee a significant part of its heritage, whether for good or ill, who saw the statue as a presentation/preservation of history, whether good or bad, and who disliked of the idea of seemingly changing/whitewashing said history, etc.

Trump really is a poor speaker and that's a large part of the problem with his public persona. The fact that he followed Obama, for whom public speaking and presentation were genuine strengths, makes that weakness all the more glaring.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

John McClean walked out in public with this haircut. Give him a break.

franticscribe and doctorquant like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

CNBC just reported that there is a conference call ongoing right now, and that Trump's Strategic and Policy Forum -- the one with Jamie Dimon, Mary Barra, Bob Igor, Jack Welch, Steve Schwartzman, Larry Fink, etc. -- is going to disband. It sounds like enough of them were going to quit.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We can debate Obama's policies all day long, but he presented as a grown-up publicly, and I think that frustrated the hell out of his detractors because it was so difficult to lampoon him. So they assigned him the trait of "arrogance," which was pretty weak.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And. ... The CEO of Campbell's Soup just quit the manufacturing council. This morning it was the 3M CEO. I don't know if twitter is big enough to handle Boss Tweet going after this many people.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I agree with you, and the vast majority of posters, on almost every point made over the last couple of days.

I disagree with those who believe speech is violence, or should be met with violence. I don't think those advocating this understand how disastrous the policies they are promoting would be.

I think Trump handled the response poorly. He bungled the first attempt. He was mad at the way the press reviewed his performance, and when forced to go back out and redo his statement, he let his anger get in the way of what he wanted to say. He was more interested in fighting with the media than saying/doing the right thing.

It's a flaw, and not a good one for a President.

But, I don't see it as evidence that he is a racist.

And, a failure to agree with message board vigilantes on this one, last point has peopl really worked up, and unable to see our vast areas of agreement.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So RIP Jefferson or nah?

melock and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.