1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think that is because it is the most recent war which was actually fought on our own soil. The Revolutionary War and 1812 are both so long ago as to be pretty foreign to us. The scale of the carnage in the Civil War was horrendous, and places that we actually have been to were flattened, for instance the burning of Atlanta.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was strange seeing a vibrant Paul McCartney in concert a few weeks ago. When I was a kid, the Beatles were broken up for more than a decade already, one of them died before my memory begins, they were played on the "oldies" station, and their old video clips were in black and white.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I worked with an 18-year-old woman on an assembly line last week who could not name the opposing sides in either the Civil War or World War II.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Local places, in my experience, aren't any cheaper. If you want cheap, go to a gas station.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

bet she can name all the Kardashians, though

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Call me a rube, but I have zero problem with 7-11 coffee. I love it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do you think of this one @Dick Whitman, it't the subhead on the lead article on the Times website right now:

• In the wake of his defense of white supremacists, President Trump was abandoned by executives, contradicted by military leaders and shunned by Republicans
    The lede has it a little differently, but it makes a big difference:

President Trump found himself increasingly isolated in a racial crisis of his own making on Wednesday, abandoned by the nation’s top business executives, contradicted by military leaders and shunned by Republicans outraged by his defense of white nationalist protesters in Charlottesville, Va.

Trump Comments on Race Open Breach With C.E.O.s, Military and G.O.P.

I'm not sure Trump defined the "good people" he defended, but he certainly did not mount a defense of white supremacists.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This tweet isn't doing what you say it's doing.

9. Dick Whitman

I saw it and meant to bring it up. It's terrible. It barely seems worth my energy to discuss any more, particularly in places like Facebook. People think anything that is critical of Trump is warranted.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There were good people on "both sides." One side was made up entirely of white supremacists.

QED.

11. Dick Whitman

You can keep taking this tact.

It helped cost the Democrats a presidential election last year when they, among other things, scandalized the legal taking of a tax loophole.

QYFW likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's not hinting at anything either. Not at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.