1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He said there were some good people. ... at something that we all know was a large gathering of anti-semites, bigots, neo-confederates, militia types, neo-nazis, white nationalists and Klansmen.

But let's be literal about his words so we can have a stupid debate about whether a guy who demonstrably lacks all ability to speak in subtlties was somehow making a ridiculously subtle distinction about the "good people" within that crowd.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There were Zero good people on the side of hate. That's where it begins and ends.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the idiocy of the president because someone says "this is why you lose elections". I'm not ignoring idiotic behavior.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course it is.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who is asking you to ignore the idiocy of the president?

I think he's a complete boob. I wouldn't elect him to tie my shoes.

I have said this over and over and over and over and over again.

All of that said, when you spend a week scandalizing a tax loophole, you become the boy who cried wolf.

6. Dick Whitman

I'll never understand why you get to call people "stupid." You do it over and over and over again while meanwhile the ban finger is ready for anyone who offends your delicate sensibilities.

JC and YankeeFan like this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait. Mr. "I want to parse language to an absurd degree" wants to say that "have a stupid debate" is calling people stupid?

FileNotFound, dixiehack and Riptide like this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I agree that the presidents entire discourse on the events in Charlottesville has been of base.

This was simple. Denounce the white supremacists/Nazi's. Denounce their ideology. Reiterate that it has no place in America. Blame the white supremacists/Nazis, and their hateful rhetoric for the death of Heather Heyer.

His response was an unforced error. It makes it harder for people to unite around a common cause, and it's made it difficult for people to work with him.

But, he never defended white supremacists, and the Times should be better than to write that he did.

There's so much to criticize Trump over. But, when they do this, they justify all the complaints that he and his supporters have about unfair, unjust, and just plain fake, press coverage.

And, this isn't a mistake by the Times. It's intentional.

They're choosing sides. And they shouldn't complain when Trump now treats them as a combatant instead of a fair arbiter and chronicler of events.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"He was actually defending an *imaginary* group of people that wasn't there, a group of people that were created as a fiction by white nationalists who he follows on twitter and employs as confidants."

Idiots.

TowelWaver and LongTimeListener like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

He explicitly said he wasn't defending the white supremacists:

I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Oh, fuck you.

This is no longer a journalism message board.

It's an Daily Kos annex.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Stop rationalizing his behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.