1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If Trump wins in 2020, it won't be because the Democrats did anything wrong especially. It will be because some very large percentage of America is still super racist and stupid.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It might not rise to the standards of a NYT nut graf, but I'm 99.44% sure that one wasn't aimed at you.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Coffee, pizza and blowjobs. Bad is a relative term.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. I saw the other post. I just felt compelled to clarify.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing hyperbolic about this. He was talking about the good people and "all sides" bearing blame. ... with regard to what was objectively a rally of white nationalists, nazis and klansmen.

It doesn't matter what he is thinking. ... As I said, I have no idea what is in the asshole's heart. What I do know is that he was either blowing a dog whistle at a bunch of bigots or he so lacks a moral compass that he didn't have the sense to come out and hit a softball (immediately condemning Nazis and klansmen) that any politician / elected official with a brain sends into the bleachers like it's a batting practice pitch.

You just told me what you think he was thinking and what was in his mind, to suggest I am being hyperbolic about this (at least I think you were suggesting that). I'm sorry. I'm not working with the deck of tarot cards you have that puts his behavior into a special context based on what idiocy is in his head. Whatever he was thinking (and whatever is really in his heart) it still doesn't change the fact that this was a neo-Nazi rally. ... and he (the leader of the free world!) first chose to create an equivalency between a gathering of bigots and the people protesting the bigots. ... and then, two days later rather than trying to fix it, he doubled down with a bunch of stupidity, including the "good people" thing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    TowelWaver likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

When he says "many sides" or "all sides" bear blame, I don't think it's fair to say that he's "defending white supremacists." If my son hits my daughter in the face and my daughter returns fire, my wife might ask, "Did our daughter hit our son in the face?" And I answer, "Yes, she did. And our son hit our daughter in the face, too."

I'm not defending my daughter.

7. Dick Whitman

Should the New York Times write, in a straight news headline, that Trump "defended white supremacists."

That is the question.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I said this before ... but he did defend the white supremacists. He said the "Jews will not replace us!" march was a nice quiet Friday night rally. And he said they were being peaceful Saturday until they were attacked.

That is defending white supremacists. I don't care if he says he wasn't.

9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

This

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So who told Donald who Black Jack Pershing was?

Bannon, Gorka or Miller?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speaking of doubling down on lies ...

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And he said that the other protesters didn't have a permit - which was incorrect, or obfuscation. They didn't need one.

It takes some mighty word parsing to add it all up and say Trump "defended white supremacists" was wrong.

TowelWaver and LongTimeListener like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.