1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Are you serious? So unless he literally says the actual words, "I defend white supremacists," then he hasn't done so? That's the standard?

Is the only legitimate conviction in a criminal case when the accused literally says, "I did it"?

That's absurd.

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Double Down and I were frequently in pretty synchronized lockstep when it came to journalistic ethics discussions, and frequently were in the minority, together. He's very thoughtful on this kind of thing and, even if he disagreed with me here or on other issues like this that have come up for debate during the course of the Trump presidency, I sure would have liked to have heard his thoughts.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look we don't need the exact quote from Trump, why get into the weeds? That's exactly what Trump supporters want you to do, get tripped up by exact words because they will continually deny and then reset the goalposts.

Look at the substance of what he said, feel free to interpret it even, if you cannot find that Trump is a white supremacist enabler/supporter, then that's on you. Its all about our personal opinions at this point and IMHO I can easily reach that conclusion and feel comfortable with that. If you want to disagree, that's your right but you have to live with the consequences; a neo-Nazi intentionally ran down an innocent young woman, Heather Heyer, with a car, the most cowardly act, and the President, Trump, failed to condemn that act specifically. If you're supporting him, you're supporting the Neo-Nazis, the White Supremacists.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I find it really hard to give credit to a supposedly smart person who voted for Trump when it was so patently obvious who he was and what kind of president he was going to be.

TowelWaver and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not coincidentally, the board's biggest Trump supporter sent him on this linguistic snipe hunt.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No. I'd even be willing to say that there is very little possibility that every person who marched in that protest was a Nazi.

WriteThinking and Dick Whitman like this.
  12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We are responding to an imaginary person.

melock, TowelWaver and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.