1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I believe that is a very reasonable summation of the hundreds (thousands?) of words you have typed on the issue. Your overall point was IIRC that it's not fair to state as fact that, on the tape, Trump bragged about committing sexual assault because he explicitly said that "they let you do it," and thus it wasn't assault but consensual, or at least one couldn't state as fact that it was assault.

But yeah, I'm responding to an imaginary post. If only DoubleDown were here.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  2. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

The full transcript of what Pres. Trump has said in the past week must also be read in the context of a career full of racist actions and words.

We can continue to parse sentence-by-sentence since Saturday, but it's ignoring the forest to scrutinize the trees.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, what about the alt-left that came charging them (ph)? Excuse me. What about the alt-left that came charging at the -- as you say, the alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?

There were people in that rally, and I looked the night before. If you look, they were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I'm sure in that group there were some bad ones. The following day, it looked like they had some rough, bad people -- neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to call them.

But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently protest and very legally protest, because you know -- I don't know if you know, they had a permit. The other group didn't have a permit.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Pete, it's really good to see you on the board. And in case there's any confusion about it, that's not in any way a shot at your character.

BadgerBeer and Pete like this.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm always going to be on the side of precise, accurate language in journalism over speculative language, even though the speculative language is almost surely accurate.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He talked about the very fine people (not good people). ... among the crowd at what was a neo Nazi rally.

I'm not speculating or reading tea leaves here. Christ. Speculating would be a detailed post about what Stoney thinks was in his mind or what Stoney thinks he was thinking when he was babbling away.

Even if you are right with your Trump ESP. ... this is basic logic. I objectively know that he was talking about a neo Nazi rally. ... and I know that he said that there were some "very fine people" at that rally. Whatever the asshole was thinking when he said it. .... yeah, this is basic logic. If it is true (A) that it was a neo Nazi rally. And it's true (B) that he said there were some very fine people there. ... It's true (A and B) that the dipshit said that there were some very fine people at a Nazi rally.

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Well, I guess the joke's on me for engaging with you. I have spent much more time and energy than I should have during a work day to address your statements in what I believe was a reasoned way in order to have a discussion on things I care about, including language, the law, and the direction of this country. I thought you cared about those things as well.

But you're just playing a game, it seems. So I will tap out. My business partner will thank you.

The field is yours! Enjoy.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The forest-for-the-trees comments are spot on.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

I'm not going to defend a point I didn't make.

12. Dick Whitman

You just missed one word, in bold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.