1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It was family lore. You never know how these things start. For instance, I heard that you wear the ties you wear just in case you come across a table that wants for a cloth.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Going back to Donald, when I posted earlier about someone feeding him the Pershing thing he tweeted today I had no idea he used that one on the stump.

How did I miss that!?

Pershing didn't do what Donald says he did, but if it ever would have taken place IT WOULD BE A WAR CRIME.

But hey, it must've worked on the stump, so whatevs.

Our president.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I honestly thought the bubble tea fad hit its peak about three or four years ago.

4. Machine Head

Another thing I missed, this bubble tea.

What the hell am I doing with my life?

5. Machine Head

I'm going to find a place that sells it and try one.

Do we have any flavors or kinds to recommend, sj.com?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear any defense of this statement:

“I have lived in a family that has talked about Native America, talked about tribes, since I’ve been a little girl,” she said. “I still have a picture on my mantle at home, and it’s a picture of my mother’s dad, a picture of my grandfather, and my Aunt Bee has walked by that picture at least a 1000 times, remarked that her father, my Pappa, had high cheekbones, like all of the Indians do, because that’s how she saw it, and your mother got those same great cheekbones, and I didn’t. And she though this was the bad deal she had gotten in life. Being Native American has been a part of my story, I guess since the day I was born, I don’t know any other way to describe it.”

Elizabeth Warren struggles with response to Native American questions (again)

7. Machine Head

She had an Aunt Bee?

8. Machine Head

We always pronounced it "ant."

The other way felt pretentious for some reason.

I come from simple folk.

Stunner, huh?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

:p
    Same here, I still knew about bubble tea though.

Big Circus and Machine Head like this.
  10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

You understand she was quoting someone there, right?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Taro milk tea, with boba (the tapioca balls) for the full experience. Look for them in Chinese neighborhoods if you have one.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know. I can see your general point, but in this particular instance -- in which someone has pretty obviously fraudulently laid claim to a heritage so as to ride the identity politics gravy train -- his lampooning doesn't strike me as over the top. Especially since the name he chose is all but universally held in esteem across the U.S. I doubt the choice was deliberate, mind you ...

In my book, it would be wrong to refer to Nkechi Amare Diallo (or anyone else for that matter) as "Aunt Jemima," as that draws on and perpetuates some terribly ugly stereotypes. Calling Ward Churchill "Sequoyah" ... which is essentially what Trump did here ... that wouldn't bother me so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.