1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

FTFY

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd say it's unclear from the reading of it if Aunt Bea made the comment, or if that's Warren't commentary.

Either way, Warren repeated it as justification for her claim. She certainly didn't apologize for her aunt's generalization.

3. YankeeFan

You've mentioned here before, I believe, but how many professors at Harvard have Warren's academic background?

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Weak, but fine, take Warren off the list I provided earlier.

Are you really arguing Trump doesn't have a history of racially questionable statements and practices?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bubble tea looks and sounds disgusting. There are probably at least 30 of those places in my area. Tapioca? Blech.

Speaking of blech, I was quietly enjoying my early dinner tonight (gotta beat the crowd) and our Asshole in Chief was on CNN, spouting that Pershing bullshit. Seriously? That's a story you're going to tell as if it's true? Dumb fuck, you don't deserve to empty the trash in the Oval Office, much less work there.

Almost ruined my BBQ chicken pizza.

6. YankeeFan

BTW, the 1/32nd claim looks to be unproven at best:

A genealogist at the New England Historic Genealogical Society initially had said there was documented evidence that Warren was 1/32 American Indian, alluding to a family newsletter that had indicated her great-great-great grandmother was Cherokee, the Boston Globe reported early in the controversy. But this point was later corrected, as neither the Globe nor the genealogical society had proven the existence of that document.

Why Donald Trump calls Elizabeth Warren ‘Pocahontas’

■ Correction: Because of a reporting error, a story in the May 1 Metro section and the accompanying headline incorrectly described the 1894 document that was purported to list Elizabeth Warren’s great-great-great grandmother as a Cherokee. The document, alluded to in a family newsletter found by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, was an application for a marriage license, not the license itself. Neither the society nor the Globe has seen the primary document, whose existence has not been proven.

For the record - The Boston Globe

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm Ulster-Irish from deep in the heart of Appalachia, and I'd be stunned if there wasn't Native American in my family tree (records get a mite sketchy as you work your way back). But if I laid claim to Native American heritage as a way of grabbing some identity-politics booty -- like, say, a full professorship at Harvard when nobody with my credentials ever gets within a whiff of such -- I'd deserve to be lampooned for it.
    Absolutely I am not arguing that. I'm merely arguing that, in my estimation, this was not one of those instances.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, if Elizabeth Warren's Aunt Bee runs for office, she'll never get my vote.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Dude, "Aunt Bea" was on a TV show.

We're talking about "Aunt Bee."

Thank you for the direction on which bubble tea to order, I've found a place.

10. Machine Head

We really, really, really need to get a thread going here for your thoughts on all kinds food and drink.

I'm serious.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I wasn't directing that question to you, but fair enough (on both points if it's been proven Warren has no such heritage and knew it when making the claim.)

12. Machine Head

We used to have decent food threads here.

Much like DD, gone with the wind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.