1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, let's not follow your little thought thread to its natural conclusion, which is: "Why isn't there a White History Month?" That being said, my now-former teammate got more racist when accused of racism, got in a fight, then came back after the game looking for more, when I fought him. So, you know. It was more than the Rajai Davis thing. That's just how shit got started.

I know you're concerned, so just to close the loop: I received a five-game suspension, reduced to three on appeal ("But he's a racist!"), for fighting. I come by my Nazi-punching stance honestly.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

All right. That makes more sense, so you get the obligatory "fair enough."

But why didn't you include that in your original story?

If a black guy named "Henderson" is acting like a cocky asshole and I call him "Ricky," that might be construed as racism to some, right?

But it was because he was being a cocky asshole.

It just seems like people make the leap to "racist" without being 100% sure.

JC likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You have an interesting definition of "natural conclusion."

7. typefitter

The story wasn't about his suspension. It was how white people sometimes don't see things as racist, because we're white and have never experienced racism, when someone who's not white might see it very much as racist. @doctorquant was saying he didn't see Trump calling Warren Pocahontas as racist. I suspect Native Americans would, and I used the Davis thing to explain why I might think so.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is absolutely clear that she was quoting her aunt.

9. typefitter

That math works out perfectly for me.

JC and Johnny Dangerously like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

White people explaining what white people don't understand are my favorite white people.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Right. Calling a person Rajai Davis, because he shares a last name, seems to me to be strikingly different than the president calling a person Pocohantas for no other explainable reason than her heritage.

Just because people feel something is racist doesn't mean it is inherently racist.

People get emotional and irrational about all kinds of issues, all the time.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vol. 8: Prison Wine is journalistic gold ...

I knotted up the bags, poked a straw in the top as the recipe called for and tucked them away in our bathroom for safe keeping. If you're wondering why I didn't actually make this stuff in my toilet-- give me a break. I'm all too aware of my previous creations in that toilet. Just be glad I'm drinking moldy sock juice at all for you fuckers.

Within a day or two, the bathroom had taken on a strong sour smell. That "bar at 4 AM" smell. Everytime my wife went in there she complained about it. Everytime I went in there I just had the urge to pick up a skank.

7 long days later it was time to crack open the bags and see what we had...

I started with the red, and it somehow smelled amazingly good! Like fresh, sweet grapes. You know, there's an old expression that says In wine, there is truth. In this case, I could also make out some chunks and what appeared to be a severed foot.

Then there was the "white" wine. This one's aroma was slightly more earthy. Do you know that smell of grass right after it's cut? That's nice. I was just making chit-chat, because this smelled like rotten eggs tucked into the anus of a dead cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.