1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

1. Of course not.
    2. I would think not, in this case.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kushner is literally a pathetic cuckold. Any man with a half thimbleful of testosterone would have told Fucko to fuck off about a decade ago, and keep his fucking hands off the Pretty Princess. But Cuck Boy Jared just sits there and whimpers and squeals.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... will show that he too owned slaves and therefore should not have statues or be on the 20. / one side or the other

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You forgot "ovens."

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right. Don't forget the ovens.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, we shall see:

Mr. Shear and Ms. Haberman:

I am no supporter of President Donald Trump. At all.

However, as a former journalist and author myself, and current attorney whose job is trafficking in the precise use of language, I have to take issue with the Times consistently asserting as settled fact this week that President Trump "defended white supremacists." This is not settled fact. It's an inference that the Times has taken wide liberties with. I assume that the Times has Tuesday's press conference in mind. Although he was typically incoherent, the President actually explicitly attempted to distinguish the white supremacists and neo-Nazis from the "fine people" he believed were at the rally to protest the removal of a statue. And yet in your piece this afternoon, "Defiant Trump Laments Assault on Culture and Revives a Bogus Pershing Story," your lede reads as follows:

WASHINGTON — Despite ongoing rebukes over his defense of white supremacists, President Trump defiantly returned to his campaign’s nativist themes on Thursday. He lamented an assault on American “culture,” revived a bogus, century-old story about killing Muslim extremists and attacked Republicans with a renewed vigor.

To me, unless strongly qualified, the President's remarks simply do not support the way the lede is worded, and he and his supporters would be well-supported in asserting as much. The President has been clumsy with his language. And his handling of this entire matter has been an outrage on many levels. But stating as a settled fact in a straight news story that he "defen[ded] white supremacists" provides ammunition to the people who are already convinced that the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.

I felt the same way about a straight news lede this week by Glenn Thrush that stated, again as a settled fact, that the President had "bow[ed] to overwhelming pressure" when he issued a revised statement on Monday afternoon. Although that is 99 percent likely, I am extremely uncomfortable with the unqualified assignment of motive without attribution in that, or any, case.

I wish the paper would start playing these stories straighter.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

No. I didn't.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NYT surely wouldn't reverse course now.

The sheer amount of suppositions, anonymous sources, certitudes...it's too bad that it's crept its way into straight news stories. It is. But how can one turn back the nature of the industry?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

UPDATE –– 2:26 pm ET: Pollak has already written a piece titled “With Steve Bannon Gone, Donald Trump Risks Becoming Arnold Schwarzenegger 2.0.”

“President Donald Trump’s decision to part ways with Steve Bannon can be understood as an effort to save his presidency after Charlottesville,” he writes. “It may turn out to be the beginning of the end for the Trump administration, the moment Donald Trump became Arnold Schwarzenegger.”

He continues:

With Bannon gone, there is no guarantee that Trump will stick to the plan. That is why — too late, in retrospect — conservative leaders wrote to the president Friday to advise him that Bannon and campaign manager-turned-counselor Kellyanne Conway were too valuable to lose. Bannon had delivered for the movement, reportedly convincing President Trump to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accords, and to visit Israel on his first trip abroad.

Bannon was also probably the only person who could deliver honest advice and criticism to the president, because he did not need the job. He is a self-made man, and not a Washington climber. Thus it was that Bannon reportedly told Trump that firing former FBI director James Comey would be more trouble than it was worth. He was right.

Trump voters have been patient, but they will soon know if Donald Trump is really Arnold Schwarzenegger 2.0.

‘WAR’: Breitbart Going ‘Thermonuclear’ Against ‘Globalists’ After Bannon Ouster

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.