1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does he even realize on which side Maine fought in the Civil War?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Burneko is a terrific writer, and I love his stuff more often than not.

But this line:

This is a shit-sprinkler spray of false equivalences and logical leaps you couldn’t put past a fucking kindergartener without catching a side-eye.

I really think he's wrong. Not for himself, or for me. I think, for me, it's obvious what the distinction between Robert E Lee and Thomas Jefferson is.

But it's *not* obvious to everyone, and I don't think it would be obvious to black Americans when Jefferson was a slave owner.

This is classic, liberal, educated white middle class just knowing how this is supposed to work and assuming everyone is the same.

It's part of how we got to Trump. Broad assumptions and wrong-headed certitude.

Cosmo and QYFW like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm confident 95% of adults know who Steve Bannon is.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

95 percent don't know who Donald Trump is.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think she said anything illegal. It was just reprehensible.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If everybody who half seriously/ rhetorically threatened to kill Barack Obama over the last 8 years was thrown in prison, NCAA football would be out of business, because all the stadiums would be forced into duty as holding cells.

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a Lincoln quote I can't remember where I saw so I can't link it about Jefferson which carefully explains that Jefferson is remembered for citing a case for continued human social progress beyond the ethos of his own time, which was different from the Southern case of 1861. So more people than 21st century middle class white educated liberals have been able to make this distinction for a long, long time.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think she said anything repehensible. It was just illegal.

(maybe)

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If a majority of black Americans didn't make that distinction, would you blame them?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your opinion regarding what is reprehensible really doesn't mean much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.