1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL. I was going to post that hours ago but thought better of it but what you type stays in the text box till you type something else.

2 hours ago I was hoping oop would just the the fuck up with his comebacks to YF. Fucking enough, dude.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You don't have a sarcasm detector at all, do you?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see bullshit. I call bullshit. I don't care who posts it.

Next time, at least try to be a little more coherent in your whining.

4. YankeeFan

Real simple question, should Angela Davis hold a place of honor among civil rights activists in America in 2017?

And, if the answer is no, should the Democratic Party disassociate itself from those who do hold her in honor?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Personally I think we should remove all the Angela Davis statues in front of courthouses and change the name on all the Angela Davis High Schools that dot the land.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Did Angela Davis lead a literal army against the USA?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Someone tweeted this afternoon "Ivanka and Jared tried to stop Jerry Lewis from dying, according to two sources familiar with the situation."

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

I found this article the other day to be fascinating:

Tom Yawkey, was a racist, who refused to integrate the Boston Red Sox. He passed on Jackie Robinson. He passed on Willie Mays. For more than a decade after Robinson broke the color barrier, his Red Sox remained all white, and remained out of first place.

But, on his death in 1976, his fellow owners lauded him. The city renamed the street that Fenway sits on in his honor, and the Baseball Hall of Fame inducted him, despite the fact that he never won a championship, nor did anything noteworthy or groundbreaking as an owner other than to keep the Red Sox all white even after the Bruins had dressed an African-American.

Now, in 1976, his fellow baseball owners, and the Boston politicians, were old white men, and Yawkey was a member of the club, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

But, in 2017, it's hard to fathom such accolades for a racist, and, indeed, current Red Sox owner John Henry is trying to get Yawkey Way renamed. Fittingly.

Now, let's fast forward. What do we make of a federal memorial, dedicated in 1997 -- fully twenty one years after the death of Yawkey -- to a president who refused to admit Jewish refugees, who were fleeing the Nazi regime, many of whom later died at their hands, and who put Japanese-Americans in internment camps?

How was it that 50 years after his death, FDR was still held in high esteem by members of the Democratic Party?

How, 20 years since the dedication, does this remain so?

12. YankeeFan

So, we're cool with Angela Davis' violent sedition, is that it?

I'm glad we have this on the record.

Anyone here want to denounce Baron? Should Baron be kicked out of the party for supporting Angela Davis, or are you all cool with her, and with Baron's support for her?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.