1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I disagree because allowing the troops to escape gives Lee some extra life to keep fighting. You don't have the siege of Petersburg and the sacking of Richmond if Lee doesn't have an army. If Lee is forced to surrender at Gettysburg, that's it for the South. The war ends a year early at that point between the massive strategic blow plus Sherman wrecking shop. What probably happens is you don't have Grant elected president. Meade would be the hero of the war. Grant gets the credit because he finally stabilizes the Army of the Potomac and gets Lee to surrender at Appomattox.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Does anyone believe that Trump studied Afghanistan for months before coming up with his strategy? What a buffoon.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No.

But at this point the Afghanistan war has only a grab bag of bad choices available. Given that, the choice he made is a defensible one.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think he pounded the books for about four straight hours and can now tell you which hemisphere it's in.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I wasn't watching closely. What choice did he make? How many troops, what is the strategy and how long will we be there? I honestly missed this.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't get the problem you have with this.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He hates that she's is revered for these statements.

HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm mostly pondering how it would have been perceived/interpreted in the aftermath. Maybe Lee surrendering while on the offensive -- in Pennsylvania, no less -- is less saint-worthy. Maybe all the "Lost Cause" nonsense never gets started. I don't think it outlandish to think that many, many things are different had Meade pressed the issue.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. dixiehack

I read about it, but didn't watch. Why ruin the afterglow of a great day?

Reports are around 4000 additional troops. No real word on strategy and length, but it doesn't bother me very much not to get all the details made public.

Trump announces new strategy for Afghanistan that calls for a troop increase

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Cuck Alert.

Maybe Trump's Army is learning that if you show your faces in public at self-described congregations of various white supremacist groups, your inhumanity tends to get exposed.

12. dixiehack

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.