1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You mean the war that's been going on for 16 years?

Not sure "starts" is the verb you wanna be using there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hate to give him ideas, but ...

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Switch out "a" for "the" and that was the intent.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This speech was so Trump. Let's check off the boxes. No numbers, check. Blame Obama for doing it wrong, check. We're going to win, check - whatever that actually means when you're talking about a war in Afghanistan. Historically, no one wins there, they get tired of expending money and lives and leave, not win. We couldn't win with over a hundred thousand troops, how is going from eight to twelve thousand going to do it?

He's also all set up to duck the blame. "I'm doing this against my best instincts". If this plan does not work out, it's the general's fault, not his.

He's also only talking about the military component. We have no Ambassador to Afghanistan. We have no Undersecretary of State for that area of the world. Who, exactly, is going to be negotiating and arm-twisting Pakistan? He's saying to bring in India. How do we have a muscular foreign policy while not hiring anyone and cutting a third of State's budget?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Like "You are responding to an imaginary post," this should become a standard SJ.com response to YF.

7. Neutral Corner

Unless we settle for the long term, like Korea. Of course, we don't have troops coming home from Korea in body bags, so there's that.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Democrats in general need to learn that, "Trump is a bad guy and an idiot" is never going to win them elections or make him a one-term president. Now, I personally think that he should be a one-term president or less because he's a bad guy and an idiot. But the sign behind Stephonopoulos's desk holds true. It's the economy, stupid. Like Bannon said, Republicans win when these SJWs are in charge of Democratic messaging.

9. Neutral Corner

I keep saying this every time you bring it up. It may bite the Dems in the ass. It may also bite the Republicans in the ass. It's going to be very interesting when Mueller releases what he's found out. I'm not sure you'll get anything from Simpson before Mueller's report comes out. He seems determined to drag his feet and refuse to cooperate. I agree that there's likely some dirt there... I'm just not sure what it will wind up being. They need to stay on the guy, because it sure as hell looks like he's hiding something.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The economy is going great for some.

Mnuchin's wife, Louise Linton, spars with an Instagram user after touting her designer clothing

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mattis says we haven't haven't fought a 16-year war so much as we have fought a one-year war, 16 times.

We've been trying to avoid disaster, not eliminate the enemy.

Mattis wants to eliminate the enemy. This is different than what we've been doing until now.

Inside Mattis' thinking: The Defense Secretary has been using this line in meetings: "Mr. President, we haven't fought a 16-year war so much as we have fought a one-year war, 16 times."

• What Mattis means by that: Trump has already given Mattis the authority to increase troop levels in Afghanistan, but the Defense Secretary has refused to exercise that authority, believing that doing so without an agreed-upon strategy would be continuing the failures of previous administrations. Trump officials condemn the Obama administration for falling into a habit of asking each winter "what do we need to do this year to prevent total collapse?"
    Axios Sneak Peek

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.