1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

On a related note:

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

since 1981, Republicans have controlled the Presidency for nearly 21 years compared to Democrats for 16. For only 4 of the 16 years did Democrats have control of both Houses of Congress and the Presidency. Republican controlled both Houses and POTUS for 6 years, not including the present government. Reagan had the Senate for 6 of his 8 years.

If trump and his party want to make America great again, I am presuming they mean the post war growth years of from 1949-67 where Republicans only had the the Senate for 2 years '53-54 and the Presidency for 8 years.

And lets be honest, it was the oil crisis and OPEC in 73-74 and the embargo of 79 that fucked up the economy, killed the US auto industry and all the tangent industries. It was the failure of all parties to quickly or even moderately shift from fossil fuel and legacy industries to alternative energy sources and support technology industries. The recessions of the 70's and 80's are direct results of geometric increases in energy costs and both parties failures to address it.

You cant have civil rights without economic growth because the population will cannibalize itself for self (economic preservation). Democrats are the party of divisive ethno-centric policies and republicans are just greedy bastards. Competing versions of self interest not only at odds with each other but detrimental to National economic growth for all.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That Margaret Cho abortion of a sitcom was easily the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad TV ideas.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Republicans to tout their support among police officers by tweeting screengrabs of Cop Rock.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As usual, the left does not understand what they've done.

We were told there would be no slippery slope if Civil Was statues were removed.

And, of course we've seen not only demands for statues and memorials to Washington and Jefferson to be removed, and for parks and streets named for them to be changed, but we've also seen outrage over a horse, whose name is too similar to General Lee's horse, and an Asian-American broadcaster's assignment switched because his name was similar to Lee's.

An over 200-year-old monument dedicated to Christopher Columbus was destroyed, and a guy was arrested in Houston for trying to blow up a statute if a Civil Was General.

But, where it's going to really bit them in the ass is when a local majority, or maybe just mob rule, is offended by symbols that they value.

This case looks pretty cut and dry. If other flags would not be allowed, then this one probably shouldn't be allowed either.

But, this is only going to continue. It's only going to get worse. It's only going to become more divisive.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I find it odd that somebody born and raised in NYC by a family that didn't arrive in the USA until after the Civil War talks of the Confederacy as"our" history and culture.

8. YankeeFan

Another brilliantly subversive resignation letter:

lakefront likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If we had just let the Confederacy win, none of these problems would exist! Slippery slope!

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  10. YankeeFan

I don't.

Oh, you mean Trump.

Trump didn't specify Civil War monuments when he that the media is trying to take away America's history and heritage.

Here's the clip:

This is a broader issue than Civil War monuments.

Personally, I could give two shits about Civil War monuments. They were put up almost exclusively by Democrats to honor guys defending slavery.

They're statues of Democrats, put up by Democrats. Tear them all down. Where Republicans currently are in power, they should lead the way to have them -- lawfully -- removed.

But, the left isn't just coming for Civil War monuments. They do want to reshape our history and our heritage.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too bad Lincoln, Grant and Sherman didn't have the atomic bomb.

That would have made the March To The Sea Great Again.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

After last night, I am pondering @Dick Whitman 's long-standing question about what happens if Trump drops the N-word during a speech. I think we are getting a hell of a lot closer to that point because so many of the people who are giving him the love he craves would like to hear that. I imagine this would lead to a robust national debate with Fox News hosts asking "Why not, what's the big deal?" and a large swath of totally non-racist people quoting Chris Rock about the difference between hard-working and law-abiding black people and, well, you know.

I wouldn't say it's likely he does it. But the chance has gone up from 5 percent to about 40.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.