1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought you might like his "just report what Trump said" directive. If Trump says he isn't defending white supremacists, take him at face value! If he edits out "many sides ... many sides" in his replay of his comments, just report what he said this time and not that he left something out!

It's way nicer that way.

HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My position is a lot more nuanced than that.

I think that you have to provide context to let the readers make their own decision. Or have some expert explain why many see him as defending white supremacists. Saying that there were "many fine people" at the rally that weren't white supremacists is something that this total idiot might actually believe. I'm extremely cautious about what gets stated as incontrovertible fact. As I explained to someone this week, at my college internship (Indianapolis Star), the editor had a policy in the bureau that we couldn't even use the word "only."

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Trump stuck largely to his prepared remarks and said it is time to "heal the wounds that divide us and seek a new unity based on the common values that untie us."

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What if that's the truth? What if ESPN was doing right by an employee who expressed concern about the assignment?

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Then the correct response is: "That's ridiculous. Do your job."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I agree ESPN overreacted to a dumb coincidence, but my God are people thirsty for any reason to be asshurt. Get some damn therapy America.

HanSenSE and Johnny Dangerously like this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think he should have included the "many sides" bit -- even though it is true.

It became the story, and allowed folks to focus on it, instead of the rest of what he said.

But, the "many sides" comment doesn't negate the rest of what he said, and from the news reports, you would think it did.

So, Trump reiterated the rest of what he said, because it did get overlooked.

8. Dick Whitman

You really don't understand why "many sides" was an inappropriate addition, given the occasion?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No kidding.

Even in this new telling of the story, Lee only expressed "trepidation" after he was approached on the subject.

If a young, up and coming announcer expresses a desire to broadcast the less prestigious game, because it's more convenient for him (it's closer to home), I question his desire and work ethic.

ESPN is making this guy look like a snowflake, who chose a lesser game so as to avoid trolling and to get home earlier. If that's true, it's bad. If it's not true, it's worse.

10. Dick Whitman

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence that today took the life of 32-year-old Heather Heyer. (Full stop.) At the same time, we must remember that the proper response to hatred, bigotry, and violence is never additional violence, and call on those who today mourn Ms. Heyer to find peaceful means as they rightfully seek to condemn hatred and bigotry."

Very few would have objected, nor should have they.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

William & Mary at Virginia is a bigger game than Youngstown at Pitt?

None of the teams are ranked and only Pitt was in the "Others receiving votes" section of the AP Top 25.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.