1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Coast elites gonna East Coast elite

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My car broke down on the outskirts of Gary, Ind., in 2003. I've never worked so quickly to get a car running in my life before or since. That place was a hellhole.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What I need to know is if Lena Dunham has ever been to Gary, and what is her opinion of it? The Times has really dropped the ball.

cjericho and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Before she adopted it, her rescue dog Lamby dramatically escaped from Gary, Indiana, where it had lived a long, hard life as slave labor in a steel mill.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

After spending one night in the bed with Dunham, Lamby realized he didn't know what true horror was and tried unsuccessfully to return to his former life.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's the Travel section. Inevitably, there's going to be a bit of randomness to it.

Right now, on their main page, they're featuring the likes of Romania, Kazakhstan and Hamilton, Ontario. And the title on the lead story admonishes readers - perhaps optimistically - to give Brussels "a second look."

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Spent 20 minutes in Gary one day and it was the dustiest 20 minutes of my life.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thing about downtown is that, other than the baseball stadium and City Hall, there really isn't much there. I doubt there's much crime downtown because it's a ghost town. You have to get into some of the neighborhoods themselves to find trouble. Like most places, outsiders who find trouble in Gary mostly invited it.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Fact is, mister, you start screwin'
    with our beach, I'll personally
    hide-strap your ass to a pine rail
    and send you up the Monon Line!"

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The NW Indiana beaches are one of the more surprising travel destinations you'll come across. They're far nicer than anybody who's not been there would imagine (especially the Dunes SP), and a glaring contradiction from the rest of that grim industrial corner of the rust belt.

So I don't have much problem with the NYT's tone. They are in truth a surprising thing to discover, and not just to eastern elites, but many midwesterners as well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. Dick Whitman

I await the NYT's piece headlined, "A University in, Yes, New Haven, CT."

11. Dick Whitman

I'm really surprised after reading the NYT's headline and this thread that Democrats have had such a difficult time relating to working-class voters in the Midwest, who they apparently think all live in grim squalor.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I didn't read anything condescending. Gary has a rep well beyond Indiana for being an industrial wasteland. A lot of people who aren't from around there might be vaguely aware it's on the lake, but "A day at the beach. ... in Gary, Indiana" doesn't really occur to most people who know the rep or have driven on by and have seen the smokestacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.