1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Coast elites gonna East Coast elite

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I actually did travel to Romania as part of a European backpacking trip and liked it a whole lot. There was great hiking where we were in Transylvania and we ate at a place that purported to be Dracula's house. (I imagine there are many places in Romania that make that claim.) Also, one night a bunch of us from the hostel went out and tied one on, and me and my two buddies were the only ones who didn't wind up with prostitutes.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

WE'RE A HARDY PEOPLE, DIXIE!

And we like to remind people of that every three seconds, as if other people in the country don't have fortitude.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The Michigan side of Lake Michigan also has some spectacular beaches -- Warren Dunes, Saugatuck Dunes, etc.

Growing up in the Chicago area, it was an urban legend that you can see the downtown skyline from the beaches in southwestern Michigan on a clear day. Saw a lively discussion about it a few years ago on a travel site. A few posters provided photographic evidence; others argued that the images had to be Photoshopped. It's an immense skyline -- clearly visible from as far east as Indiana Dunes -- and I was able to see it from one of the interstates about 40 miles out on my recent visit, so who knows.

Hermes likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like I couldn't see it from Warren Dunes this summer. I tried, but I think what I was seeing were the Indiana steel mills.

You can unquestionably see it from Michigan City, Indiana, where I used to live. On Fourth of July one year, we went to the beach there with another couple and watched fireworks, we believe, in four states.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then you'd be surprised. The youtube results for Indiana dunes can give you a glimpse--white sand, pretty blue water, rolling waves, lovely dunes--basically the whole beach experience minus saltwater and overpricing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Romania has many virtues, including the fact—not opinion, fact—that it's home to the world's most beautiful women and ugliest men.

Big Circus likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I don't like to for that reason. The kids do. But, yes, it takes a long time to warm up each summer.

9. Dick Whitman

The thing is, when you live and grow up here, it's not like you're thinking, "We're going to the beach in Gary today." You talk about West Beach or Whihala or Well Street Beach or the Dunes. It's not like you're driving through the ghetto to get to these beaches. Although I do make a point of telling my kids that the beach is in Gary. First, because he always wants to know. Second, so that they have a positive image of Gary.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree about Romania having some beautiful women, slightly different than some Eastern European countries that also have some beautiful women. Unfortunately, what they have in common with those other Eastern European countries is that those women often age particularly poorly. They go from 25 years old to 68 years old in just a few months.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get terribly concerned about East Coasters flocking to Gary for the beaches.

YankeeFan and dixiehack like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We're too busy vacationing at the Love Canal. It's closer and you can do the whole family for like $275 for a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.