1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the thing. ... None of us have any idea what these conversations are like and whether one read out is accurate and the other isn't.

What I don't have to rely on from anyone else are 1) optics, and 2)things said right in front of a camera for everyone to see. With Putin standing right next to him after their first meeting (which was supposed to be a reset), I'll quote Macron:

"During the campaign, Russia Today and Sputnik were agents of influence which on several occasions spread fake news about me personally and my campaign."

"When news outlets spread despicable lies,” he said, “they are no longer journalists. They are organs of influence.

"Russia Today and Sputnik did not behave as media organisations and journalists, but as agencies of influence and propaganda, lying propaganda – no more, no less."

Putin was bristling. And then he was asked whether he was behind the hack of Macron's e-mails. I'd kill for the president of my country to stand next to Putin and do optics that are that "amicable."

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Aside from the deeply troubling xenophobic aspects, doesn't this put border agents in needless danger?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's a colonia?

4. TigerVols

5. The Big Ragu

Rural settlements with substandard homes made out of found materials, which aren't to any sort of code. No sewers, no water treatment, etc. In that area, it is going to be settlements of Mexicans. The way they are living, they are going to be particularly susceptible to a hurricane.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You follow THAT guy? (yeah, I know how Twitter works...)

7. TigerVols

Are they in standard units, meaning are they sanctioned areas like "these 40 acres are a colonia" or did they just organically sprout up...like trailer parks?

8. The Big Ragu

Totally unregulated settlements. Dirt roads with homes on either side. People living very poor. You find it in Texas and New Mexico. ... mostly in areas close to the border that are useless for agriculture.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's kinda like a perfect mix for maximizing human loss, combining 1) a hurricane hitting the corner of our country with the highest percentage of people living in housing with zero chance of withstanding it; and 2) Trump's draconian immigration stance making those most defenseless terrified to leave.

Can we show some human decency and suspend the checkpoints for a few days? I'd like to think even right wingers could agree that a friggin hurricane is sufficient excuse to take a timeout.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

MS 13

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

People in colonias should be running TO Mexico if they want to avoid this storm. As it stands, very few colonias are in much danger unless Harvey steers left after it hits land.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The RGV isn't getting the worst of the storm, but still getting flooding rains and a good chance of Cat 1 winds. And like Ragu noted, when you have to build a house out of literal garbage, there is virtually no prayer of it providing sturdy shelter in a crisis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.