1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You've lost your ever loving mind.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Arpaio getting pardoned isn't in the top 100 of the worst parts of this Presidency. For all the bad parts of who Joe Arpaio is, he's a pissant who means very little to the national discourse, and he's likely not a threat to his community in terms of violence. Justice was fully served in his case, from start to finish, including his pardon. If the President sees fit to pardon the racist, that's his prerogative - but, please, let's all stop pretending the President doesn't pander to racists and, as such, is likely racist himself.

Arpaio is no longer in position to enforce racist police policies, and that's the important part of his story. Beyond that, we're (back) on to Russia. /Belichick

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, 20 years ago he got features for being colorful.

Everyone else quit. Fox kept it going. You said producers and reporters never looked beyond the PR. I would invite you to look at any of the non-Fox coverage from the past 15 years. I mean, he had reporters ARRESTED because of the negative press. (Had to pay 'em $3 million for that.)

You can pretend he was the same guy 20 years ago. It fits your phony argument. It's bullshit, of course, but it'll keep you from actually having to defend him or the pardon.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Really? Your guy has pardoned a racist sheriff. His economic advisor is so angry about Trump's comfort of the "very fine" people gathered in Charlottesville that he nearly quit. Trump went into his defense of his supporters with that Jewish man, Gary Cohn, on the same stage at the same time.
    And Trump's critics are the unhinged ones?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

10 servicemen are killed at sea, but because they served on a ship named for pariah John McCain, the commander in chief says next to nothing.
    And the critics are mean and unreasonable?

WCIBN and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"I like ships that don't crash."

HanSenSE, dixiehack and heyabbott like this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Can we pin this tweet?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Also, this:
    This case started in 2007. Citizens sued Arpaio/MCSO because they were racially profiled and held in custody for no reason.

This case started beccause of Arpaio/MCSO behavior. Nothing more.

It was pre Obama, so can't blame him.

It was filed in court by citizens, so you can't blame "illegals"

Judge Snow is a conservative judge that attended BYU and was appointed to bench by President Bush. So you can't claim it's a liberal judge.

You know who you can blame? Joe Arpaio - this entire criminal conviction is his own fault. He thought he was above the law.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So anything goes, I guess. Anything I can criticize a politician I don't like for, has been done by a politician I do like, so either criticize both or it's OK for both?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've never understood political debate where the only goal is to say "you're a hypocrite."

I mean, so?

At it's root, "whataboutism" is essentially saying "I'm just as shitty as you!" Congrats, I guess.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    FileNotFound and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some amazing stories on Joe here.

franticscribe and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

How many other sheriffs kept inmates in tent cities without A/C, allowing the temperature to get to 141 degrees? How many placed a Mugshot of the Day on the county website for the purpose of gratuitous humiliation? How many paraded inmates in front of heckling citizens and into their racially segregated section of the facility?
    Joe Arpaio Goes Medieval, While Barack Obama's America is a Million Miles Away

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.