1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I also tend to think that county sheriffs should not be elected. If Joe Arpaio were a police chief or a prison warden, an appointed position, he probably would have been fired a long time ago.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And his directive to the Pentagon to start enforcing the transgender ban slips through some cracks here.

Like the Muslim ban, this does not end well for Trump.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

During the campaign, some things happened that prompted someone elsewhere to remark that Trump had gone "full-on Hitler." My aggressive response to that comment was, at best, met coolly, and by some, with furrowed brows and resistance. I couldn't believe that more people, especially Jews, weren't offended by that equivalence. Like most people, I had long before realized that you're almost never supposed to go there — comparing anything to Hitler-level atrocities. For one, Trump hadn't killed anybody yet (that we know of), so if at that point in the campaign he was already "full-on Hitler," where could we go with our language if he really did match Hitler's horror? There was nowhere to go.

Trump wasn't even the most egregious example of a presidential candidate one would compare to Hitler in my lifetime. David Duke (who also ran for governor of Louisiana) was a former Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, for goodness' sake. But, yes, even I had to admit that Trump was bringing us to that rarest of moments, when the almost ironclad rule of avoiding Hitler comparisons could be put aside to some extent. There were and are legitimate reasons to look at Trump and note similarities between Hitler's rise to power and Trump's, not to mention his German heritage and other things we know about him. It was perfectly acceptable to compare and contrast Trump at that point in the campaign to Hitler at some point in Hitler's life, but not acceptable to describe him as having gone "full-on Hitler."

There is so much about him — and his relationship with and support from white supremacists and neo-Nazis — that should make everyone in the world uncomfortable. But calling him Fuhrer and Hitler is a disrespectful insult to those who suffered at the hands of Hitler and the Third Reich. It diminishes the enormity of Hitler's crimes, and it diminishes us. On this I agree with YankeeFan.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hitler "hadn't killed anyone yet," outside of conventional military operations, until about March 1945.

People were talking on the street that some bad stuff had been going on, but who knew? Maybe it was "fake news."

So it wouldn't have been fair and balanced to make wild accusations.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

dixiehack, Stoney and YankeeFan like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trumps more like Charles Manson than Hitler.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. You're more correct than you know. Even after the Red Army liberated the first death camps, Western Allies dismissed the reported Nazi atrocities as "Soviet propaganda." In other words, fake news.

See how far we've come in 72 years?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The pardoning of Arpaio is just so depressing to me.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

I'm just guessing here because I have the guy on ignore but why do you folks keep trying to reason with Yankee Fan? He's either as profoundly stupid and racist as Trump or he's a troll. In either case he should be ignored.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Give Old Crank a gold star for his ignore'ism.

QYFW likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You used your 44th post in 12 years to lecture the board about how and when to use the "ignore" button and to take shots at a poster you have in fact decided to ignore?

SnarkShark and QYFW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.