1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. I wouldn't say that. Don't be like Trump and judge the effect of something by whether or not it's getting big cable news play.
    2. Pardoning Flynn, etc. would be problematic for Trump himself legally. A pardon means its recipient can be forced to testify to Congress, a prosecutor, etc. under penalty of perjury since a a pardon wipes out self-incrimination protection. It's not a get out of jail free card for all time anymore than witness protection is.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. And it's a way of communicating to the others implicated in the Russia investigation: See, if you guys take the fall to protect me, I'll give you a pardon, and we'll all get a way scot free.

And, fwiw, there's a clear precedent for that strategy working with the Scooter Libby pardon during the Dubya administration. Libby took the fall to protect Cheney, then Libby got his pardon, and they all ended up unpunished. After the Libby pardon, the media screeched for just a few days, but it was surprising how quickly it died down after that as we got distracted by other stories. In effect, we let them get away with it unscathed.

You think anyone in the Trump administration remembers that lesson?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Made trains run on time, Mussolini.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Michael, you know better than to figure Trump is thinking that far ahead.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, sure, except that Libby didn't get a pardon.

6. Michael_ Gee

Of course not him. But the White House counsel and Trump's private lawyer would.

7. Michael_ Gee

True, Libby had his sentence commuted, just as Manning did.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's right. His sentence was commuted, technically not a pardon. Forgive me, my memory was fuzzy.

But the point and reasoning still stand. The lesson remains the same.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Stand by. That's coming, along with the unconditional, unlimited self-pardon.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not just "technically" not a pardon. It was not a pardon at all.

He received a commutation on a portion of his sentence.

And, Cheney was pissed with Bush in the final weeks of the presidency, because Bush didn't want to hear about it any more.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Then Fucko just hands out pardons for the perjury and contempt charges. Everybody goes scot-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.