1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with this post. America's value-free media (except the value of profit, of course) are guilty here as well. They presented a monster as a "Colorful:," "controversial" figure instead of telling the truth. This man was a monster, and white people in Phoenix wanted a monster to protect them from their racist fears.

cranberry likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, the corporatist right wing media screech machine luvvvved big bad badass Sheriff Joe from the get-go, because he was bringing his bootheel down on the smelly brown people.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nuremberg. The man really said that ... Nuremberg.

SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't believe Obama pardoned (not technically) this traitor.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep. Trump was going to save his fellow birther no matter what.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's terrific stuff. A must-read for all liberals, who will not like what they're reading, especially wealthy, academic white liberals.

The first agenda item for liberals to kick off the podium is the bathroom stuff, but they won't. They're afraid to be labeled discriminatory. The fear of being uncool and rude is stronger than the first of handing over the entire republic to Republicans.

I Should Coco and YankeeFan like this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Early on, he was made out to be some kind of refreshing folk hero by the not-so-liberal local mainstream media in Phoenix, from my perspective. I recall arguing with a local friend about him in the early 2000s and being taken back by my friend's stream of rationalizations for Arpaio's clearly discriminatory behavior.

But understand two things: 1) Nobody made Joe Arpaio but Joe Arpaio. He is and was a terrible a human being, and 2) however little bit the media may be complicit for his rise to fame, it has fuck-all to do with Trump's transgression in pardoning him.

Trump was clearly and defiantly signalling to the white nationalists, racists and bigots who unmistakenly and inarguably comprise his political base.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. Starman

Fuck you
    I do what I want
    Nobody can stop me
    And especially fuck all you brown people

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He agrees with Bannon -- and you -- that if democrats are talking about racism and identity politics, and republicans are talking about economic nationalism, republicans win.

remnick: What do you mean used by a moment like this? There is a quote recently that Steve Bannon, of all people, delivered: “The Democrats, the longer they talk about identity politics, I’ve got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focussed on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.” And you have said that it works for them—it being identity politics—but it doesn’t work for us. And there seems to be some link—not that I’m saying that your politics, by any chance, are anything like Steve Bannon’s—but you’re saying a similar thing, aren’t you?

lilla: I just think it’s an objective fact. I mean, he has no reason to lie about this. And the past two generations of our politics, I think, demonstrate exactly that.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I ponder the pearl-clutching, why does the phrase "Holder Memorandum" keep coming to mind?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Starman

Let's not be nasty, it'll mess up the Kumbayah singalong.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's killed the party. A lot of it is fueled by the Internet. It has inflated problems that are singular and best resolved locally into nationwide justice matters.

FileNotFound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.