1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's not the question.

The question is whether Holder's role in securing Rich the pardon should have disqualified him from serving as AG.

If it didn't, then what possibly would disqualify someone?

And, if it didn't, then let's all be honest, we don't give a shit about pardons and commutations.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And, again, it's not a matter of "you can't address X if you aren't offended by Y." Wrong.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

Should the role Holder played in securing the Rich pardon have disqualified him from serving as AG?

It's a simple question. And, if your answer is no, that's acceptable, just don't be surprised if I draw further conclusions based on it.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That characterization is a little too dismissive for me. The first times I heard the term were in discussions with my daughter when she went to college wnd it was, best I can tell, adopted as a term for the more multicultural, financial aid types who were (somewhat understandably) taken aback by what some perceived as a general arrogance and obliviousness among the legacy set. It's a term born of culture shock.

Also, there surely isn't equal access to the means to a "decent" life for all and it a disservice to oversimplify it that way. It's just a little too easy for people like you and me to tell less fortunate people "just finish school and don't have kids until you can afford them."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. YankeeFan

It's true, and has to be frustrating to Bernie fans, but Mayweather has always chosen his opponents carefully.

Smallpotatoes and Michael_ Gee like this.
  8. YankeeFan

If your white daughter was blessed with so much privilege, I can't imagine how much privilege society has bestowed on your white, male son. I bet his life has been a breeze, free of any struggle.

9. YankeeFan

Olbeemann has been losing his mind on twitter the last couple of days (years). It's almost sad to see.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Always respected this one. Didn't you?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, I knew using the word "privilege" was problematic, but really — rights, race, injustice, whatever I would have chosen — there's only so much potential for a discussion like that in a place like this.

If we're going to do "everyone has something they have to overcome" — and think we're talking about the same thing as being a black person in America — and if we're going to say, in the blue font, "yeah, white people never have to struggle" — and think we've somehow adequately addressed racial injustice in America — the conversation has no real chance of even getting off the ground.

But I appreciate dixiehack for trying to go there.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Interestingly, my kids are half Cuban and my daughter's scholarship/pipeline to an elite prep school was through a program intended to promote diversity. So basically a relatively wealthy white girl helped the school's diversity scorecard.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.