1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's nobody here who disagrees with the assertion that racial injustice exists and we as a society need to find better solutions that mitigate and ultimately end it. What I will tell you is that it's a losing proposition in terms of an issue around which to build a top-down (national level) campaign strategy. It's divisive. Virtually all injustices, however, ultimately manifest themselves economically. Our job as Democrats is to create a level playing field and better support the economically disadvantaged whether they're disadvantaged because they are black, fat, developmentally disabled or just plain ugly. Economic inequality is the issue that matters most.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I do hope there's a way the party can succeed in doing so. Creating a level playing field may well be the toughest part of that.

The fractures on the left are significant, and in my opinion, Sanders played a big role in that when he perpetuated the notion that class is more important than race right now in America, fumbling the intersection of economics and identity politics with his talk about moving "beyond identity politics" and everything that followed. He is always awkward and a bit unsettling on racial equality. I hope there is someone within the party who can draw anywhere close to the kinds of crowds he's drawn and still have a realistic economic plan to pitch, yet not send a message of "just wait, we'll get around to you eventually" to people who need to hear something more comforting than that. Unfortunately, there are still too many people on the left who think he's the answer. He's not.

cranberry likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Black church experience > white privilege?

Apparently, Chappelle referenced the beans greens potatoes tomatoes at a show this week so I wanted to see what he was talking about. Lots of energy inside that church.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How strange it was that Clinton, of all people, forgot the campaign hammer of "It's the Economy, Stupid."

cranberry likes this.
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

To say she forgot is a gross misrepresentation of what happened, and it ignores the way the campaign was covered by many major news outlets, including cable news.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

#manypeople

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

None of Clinton's failures and shortcomings excuse the election of trump. On her worst most crooked and murderous day Hillary is a better person than trump was on the day of his birth.

8. Riptide

"Forgot" is a relative term, yes, but it should have been her hammer down the stretch.

9. Riptide

Yeah, agreed. That wasn't my point.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Somebody's gonna get blasted by Breitbart one of these days.
    Fascinating that even a wholly unqualified, corporate shill like Tillerson is breaking with Trump.
    And good for Tillerson.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There were many reasons she lost, but I don't believe her campaign was particularly well-organized in terms of strategy or message and she already had a lot to overcome because she isn't and never will be a good messenger. There were way too many surrogates going in way too many directions. She gets A-plus for passion and policy, though.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What, pray tell, does "other" mean? You've had seven months to explain this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.